Thread: WHICH IS THE BEST USED CAMERA INVESTMENT UNDER $10000 ? -Newbie

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ugo Del View Post
    I bought a used Arri Alexa XT from a UK shop and paid less than 1k$ for an Arri Service Certificate (Arri checked and calibrated the camera as if it were new out of the factory). I owned Reds and a Varicam LT but this camera is in another league, it even looks sharper than my previous cams despite the 2.8/3.4k. Used full kits are everywhere now for a good price.

They're over $10K.

Quote Originally Posted by Takor Arrey View Post
    High numbers is anything over 1000hrs. Sony may also be announcing a new camera this September according to Sonyalpharumors. I'm hoping that will help reduce the prices of their older cameras.
    1000 hours is a low number. Most rental cams normally count 3500, and are totally fine. Average lifetime of normal hours for a sensor can go as high as 10000. You would want to do a sensor recalibration after those, but it still be fine after. I’ve seen some Epic MX which did something like 16000h.

I would recommend considering a Blackmagic Ursa Mini Pro (G2 if you can swing it). You can build out a decent kit under 10K and get a pretty stellar image. I love our RED cam and I like the pocket 4K, but there are days when I miss the Ursa Mini Pro. Not going to go on a long spiel about it, but check it out and think about whether or not it would meet your needs.
    Cinematographer/Editor/Writer

CinePros | Arterial Pictures
    RED Monstro CF "Baymax+"
    Blackmagic Pocket 4K
    Tokina Vista Primes
    Leica R

They're over $10K.
    There are Alexa classic and 4/3 from $6K (full kit).

My 2 cents, get a canon C200, used c300 MKII or BMPCC6k. If you are a one man band, these are the only cameras at your price point that check off all your needs. Sony F5 is modular, its not an out of the box camera. These other cameras you can shoot and get just below Red, Arri and Sony High-End images. Those high end cameras have industry standardized features you will never need as an owner operated doing educational videos. The canons hold more value than any camera on the market even Alexas. That’s a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by shashbugu View Post
    Sony F5 is modular, its not an out of the box camera. These other cameras you can shoot and get just below Red, Arri and Sony High-End images. Those high end cameras have industry standardized features you will never need as an owner operated doing educational videos. The canons hold more value than any camera on the market even Alexas. That’s a fact.
    Yes the F5 /55 are modular, is that a bad thing? My reasoning is that right now within $10K I can get an F5 with internal 4K upgrades and still have enough left to buy a Fujinon MK 50-135mm. Sure I will need to buy an additional sxs media card, it has a PL adapter and an EF adapter, viewfinder and under 300hrs. Did Sony put a spell on me?? I understand their color science is no where near canon's but if I went the Canon route $10000 won't take me far.

Fs7 MK1, no question.

I would go for BM Ursa Mini Pro G2. You have ready to shoot package, interchangable mounts, internal NDs and also RAW. Depends where you operate, because this is real film camera. Not some small mirrorless body. There is also Canon C200. You can use it with gimbal and Canon made them now even cheaper. There are new cameras everyday now it seems and maybe the Komodo will be what you are looking for. If I had now 10k budget for a camera I would wait and go for Komodo when released. It shapes to be really awesome little box.

They're over $10K.
    But not by much.

There are nice Alexa XTs from a major rental house for $13.5k currently for sale. Or it might even be $12k. Over $10k, but imo a pretty good deal. The older Alexas are 8k, but I wouldn't buy one of them.

Imo the newer Alexas and the FS7 are the hottest items on the list from a rental perspective, of course it depends on your market. I'm not wild about the FS7 personally, but I think it represents an outstanding value.

And 3.2k Alexa footage is my personal favorite image bar none, I prefer it even to Alexa LF and Alexa 65 footage, crazy as that seems. Unfortunately my lenses don't quite cover 3.2k.

And of course, Netflix etc. doesn't accept it, but they're not renting from owner/ops.... I don't know why this is a concern to anyone, frankly, those shows are renting cameras, not hiring owner/ops. Ironically, the one Netflix show I worked on that was acquired as an original series rather than produced as one from the get-go was shot in 1080p. :/

Of course, the Alexa XT is not an ideal beginner camera imo. But I admire those who pick something up and learn on the job. I've seriously considered buying an Alexa XT myself.

I probably will in a few years.

Hi everyone, I have a liking for cinematography and videography, and currently looking to invest under $10,000 in a decent, USED professional camera package, that I can learn how to operate very well and potentially rent out and make some money, or getting small gigs with it.

So my questions regarding the cameras below are as follows:

1) what would be a better buy in your professional opinion based on these camera packages and why?

2) What will be a good step below these camera's in terms of quality and lifetime value?

3) Are these prices reasonable?

4) Which of these will you grab off the shelf?

5) Is there a better option that I am not aware of?

First, I found a Sony F5 package for $6500, ready to shoot with 4K upgrade and viewfinder. Lenses extra. Under 400hrs.

Also, a Canon C300MK 2 package selling for $8000

Next, the Red Epic M X ready to shoot package for $9500 shipped.

Then, Arri Alexa EV / Alexa Classic (with high speed license) selling for about $8500, with memory and about 1300hr. No batteries.

Sony Fs7 MK1 selling for about $6000, with hand grip, viewfinder and batteries. No lens, no memory.

Finally, a PMW F55 package, ready to shoot for $10000.

Your opinions will be greatly appreciated as I am looking to pull the trigger within the coming week. Thanks

Ps, I am new to the forum.
    There are only two relevant cameras on your list, the canon c300mk2 or the sony f55, both have their places and it's not in cinema, but documentary, live event tv specials, corporate, hobbyists. so there is a chance they can rent, but dont ever ever count on renting anything to make any money back, you will be highly disappointed and risk a lot. I would only get a camera that fits my personal use, not my professional work, but that's me because i couldnt possibly accommodate the cliental i work with with. that being said you should look into the canon c200 most likely, low cost, great for beginners, but think about what lenses you want, because it's a much larger commitment, sony lenses or canon?