Thread: Rec709 to DCI using redcine?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Rec709 to DCI using redcine? 
    Hi, I have a film that we did the final color on using Redcine. The color correction we did is extremely simple adjustments. I exported XML from Premiere and then imported that into Redcine and exported a 1080 pro res. It looks fantastic on Mac laptop and plasma television (using HDMI out from Mac mini)

We are now going to screen this movie in a theater that has an NEC 3240-S projector that is DCI spec. When we tried playing it yesterday using Mac mini HDMI out>Creston scaler> NEC projector, it all looked much more contrasty and redder or perhaps just more saturated, hard to tell but looked bad.

I'm hoping there is a very simple way to correct for this, using redcine hopefully, so I can just go back to my redcine project, change some settings on the export and have it look the way were used to seeing it. Any advice? We open in just a few days..

The final setup in the theater for our screenings will be new Mac mini HDMI out>Crestron switcher/scaler>NEC 3240-S projector

the only way you will ever know is to use Mac mini HDMI out>Crestron switcher/scaler> a monitor with a recent calibration report to prove it's accuracy
    then you will know if the issue is the projector being out of spec
    -or-
    if it's your monitoring chain that's needing to be brought into spec

Ashley,

You should make a DCP, this is is only correct and reliable way to screen a movie. It's a pity to put some many efforts in a movie, with a Red camera, and screen it another way.

PM me if you want some help on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristin Stewart View Post
    Ashley,

You should make a DCP, this is is only correct and reliable way to screen a movie. It's a pity to put some many efforts in a movie, with a Red camera, and screen it another way.

Let me explain a bit more. It's a museum installation that uses 21 channels of audio , so we need to bypass the theaters DCP playback system and are using a Mac mini and Motu24Ao instead. It was the only way within our means to get what we needed for this install.

I've just trusted the theater and assumed it was all in tip top shape. It didn't occur to me that perhaps the projector might be off calibration..

We like how the footage looked when we shot it, we didn't do any correction in redcine except for 0.1 alchemy in a few shots, and some magenta tint to counteract florescent lighting sometimes, but basically the look in camera is what we want. So knowing that about this project, do you still think I'd need to do some elaborate grade to get it looking right on a properly calibrated dci projector? Or can I change the colorspace and gamma export settings in redcine and it all just looks how it should?

Ashley,

Or if not export settings, a look that's pasted onto every shot? (Instead of different looks for each shot or scene) just a uniform shift, using a look made while looking at it in the theater, then applied to everything? It's only in this one theater in a museum that it will be shown

It's probably a calibration issue. Check the scaler, it should be able to feed a proper signal to the projector with a Rec709 input.

FYI, you can make a DCP with 16 channels of audio, so if you can drop 5 tracks, it's another possibility.

FYI, you can make a DCP with 16 channels of audio, so if you can drop 5 tracks, it's another possibility.
    We can't drop any tracks for this installation