Thread: Atlas Orion's A & B Sets - Compared

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Atlas Orion's A & B Sets - Compared 
    There's already lots of discussion on these lenses on RU, but I wanted to throw our thoughts into the mix. Video includes some quick and dirty lens/flare tests.

Product link on our website here: https://www.brainboxcameras.com/lenses
    - Travis MacRitchie - Epic Dragon, Scarlet Dragon, Alexa, Alexa Mini, Amira, C-300 Mk II - Super Baltars, Fujinon Cabrio 19-90mm, Master Primses, Ultra Primes, KOWA Anamorphics, Zeiss Compact Primes, Schneider Cine-Xenar III, Zeiss Mk. III Superspeeds, Angenieux Optimo Zooms 16-40, 30-76, 25-250mm
    BrainBoxCameras.com
    310-773-4823
    4K Camera Rentals / Director of Photography

Nice test. Would have been a bit nicer to have seen the T2-T16 over a longer range of frames. Clearly T2 is softer than T16. But not clear from test whether lenses really sharpen up at T2.8, T4, T5.6 or T8. Congrats on being one of the first with a full set!
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

Thanks for this test! I currently have an A set, which I'd like to round out with another lens (either the 32 or 80mm) and I can't quite decide. I figure the 32mm will rent more, but my heart wants that 80mm. Luckily once I put the deposit down for a single I have a few months to change my mind.

Agreed - Sadly with youtube 4k compression it's hard to even accuratley see the difference across various t-stops in sharpness. The actual prores files clearly show that the lenses sharpen up quite a bit at T4 and 5.6 is the sweet spot.
    - Travis MacRitchie - Epic Dragon, Scarlet Dragon, Alexa, Alexa Mini, Amira, C-300 Mk II - Super Baltars, Fujinon Cabrio 19-90mm, Master Primses, Ultra Primes, KOWA Anamorphics, Zeiss Compact Primes, Schneider Cine-Xenar III, Zeiss Mk. III Superspeeds, Angenieux Optimo Zooms 16-40, 30-76, 25-250mm
    BrainBoxCameras.com
    310-773-4823
    4K Camera Rentals / Director of Photography