Thread: Veydra, independent lens manufacturer, closes up shop

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Veydra, independent lens manufacturer, closes up shop 
    In a heartbreaking but not unexpected announcement last night, lens manufacturer Veydra let the community know that they are closing their doors. Ryan and the team did tremendous work putting these lenses together and I know that this can't have been easy for them. I plan on using mine for as long as MFT/E/X Mount cameras are still available, and I sincerely encourage everyone who has the opportunity to do the same.

As someone who backed them in the Kickstarter campaign, I want to thank Ryan for the hard work that he and his team put in. I won't forget it and I hope that filmmakers and audiences don't either.

Lastly, I did some digging today to read up on the Meike cine lenses that appeared a while back. If you think that they look identical to the Veydra line in everything but name, then you might be on to something. Based on a post from Phil Holland, who was involved in the development of the Veydra Mini-Primes, it sounds like the Meikes are element-for-element rip offs of the originals. Something weird is going on, and I'm extremely curious.

[Edit] Veydra vs. Meike...

Alex Mitchell
    DCPi Film Services
    www.dcpi.ca

Sad day indeed. Took a long while, but the surrounding issues were too big to conquer from what I understand. This is/was Ryan's baby, interest was huge as there were so many MFT owners out there needing a solution, and these were the first cinema primes for MFT. Tiny, affordable, decent optics with proper housings and gears.

I mainly came up with the name, Veydra, which was a play on Phaedra's Greek name base phaidros which means "bright". For the 5 of you who knew I was designing a motion picture lights back in 2012, this name was originally intended for that series of lights. I had an issue with my two partners, kept my designs and name, and the Veydra name lived on in the form of these affordable cine primes. And no, I didn't choose that font/logo!

Don't know all of what's behind the knock off Meike's, but they are identical as far as any human and likely machine can tell. Not part of Veydra's final issues oddly, but an issue nonetheless.

The absolute biggest shame here was the potential future products from Veydra are not going to happen. At least under that brand :)
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Thanks for clarifying Phil. Yeah, it's a real shame, especially as I wouldn't have doubted that the 16/19/25/35/50/85mm would have performed well in RF mount on a Komodo. Hopefully Ryan is able to take this in stride and keep doing what he does best. I've sent condolences, but if you happen to talk to him any time soon please remind him that he has had a big impact on a few of folks' careers up here and we're all bummed out about how the cookie crumbled.
    Alex Mitchell
    DCPi Film Services
    www.dcpi.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post

The absolute biggest shame here was the potential future products from Veydra are not going to happen. At least under that brand :)
    Fingers crossed

with Ryan Avery now at Tokina.
    Last edited by Billy Jim; 08-31-2019 at 06:17 PM.

I was one of the kickstarter backers for the 5 lens set. What a wonderful set of lenses. Eventually parted with them when I parted with MFT cameras.

Really saddened to hear this news, but at least Ryan is off doing great things with Tokina like with the Vista Primes.

I just wish Meike had swappable mounts! That was one of the best innovations by Veydra, because as much as I LOVE Micro Four Thirds cameras, I know I might not always be using them. Thus the option to use "MFT lenses" on other non-MFT cameras was a very strongly appealing factor.
    http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/ (Sound Recordist based in Auckland, NZ. Happy to travel too)
    https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding