Thread: Paid task/Red programmer

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Paid task/Red programmer 
    Hi there!

Is there a Red programmer here? Let’s talk money.

I contacted Jarred about 3rd party Cf cards for Red one this August, he gently answered me that R1 being EOL, that would coast a tremendous amount of money to go back and change the code.
    I then asked him How much money , if the boss shows us love with a green light and gives us a coast , i will launch a campaign through Reduser to raise the money, i’m sure we are a lot of people here willing to make that happen.

And to speed things up, is there a Red programmer here willing to make a great amount of extra cash before Christmas?

There are two ways to make 3rd party cf cards compatible with the Red one, the second way being much cheaper and less tricky to make i guess :

- Camera task : Erasing the locking line in the firmware code ( 3rd party cf cards are recognized already, but locked to 2k)
    - Card task : Creating a Flash file that makes 3rd party cf cards behave like Red cards through a formatting process, a sort of license injected in the card that bypasses the camera authentification process..

To programmers here, your price will be ours, please tell us!!

I think what you’re asking for is someone to modify the Red One’s firmware. That would require having access to the uncompiled firmware. Has Jarred specifically said that he would allow someone to have access to it for this project? We don’t know what language(s) it was written in.

I don’t think there will be many people jumping in line for this once Komodo is on sale.

Mendes, I get why you would want to pursue this, as it would allow the camera to take advantage of new cards on the market with higher capacities, etc. I think it's going to be a hard sell to RED though. They have ended support for the camera. My guess, the engineers, programmers, etc are swamped with new projects. If there's a simple fix and enough people speak up about it, maybe it could happen. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to it. I just think realistically there's got to be a lot of other fires to put out at RED, so it would really surprise me to see them do this, but RED has had a few surprises up its sleeve in the past.

Perhaps start a poll to see how many people want this. I think there would have to be a lot of interest to get RED to direct any resources at a 10 year old camera system, which I still enjoy by the way.
    Steve Sherrick

I guess it's time for me to accept the facts, Red can't go back and include a feature to an eol system.. That's totally fair.
    But having that feature would mean something important, something that says "Red is the undeniable and true definition of Obsolescence obsolete"..
    That would add value to their legacy, and that's what separates the great from others, "The legacy".
    Sometimes doing things for the sake of what we call in France "Le beau geste"..

If a programmer/coder wants to give it a try, please reach out,

Cheers all!
    Last edited by Mendes Nabil; 09-05-2019 at 02:00 AM.