Thread: Mini-Mag Transfer Speed Issue

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Mini-Mag Transfer Speed Issue 
    Hi all I have an Official Red Mini-Mag 240GB Card and I've noticed that when transferring data off the card via USB 3.0 the speed is only that of USB 2.0 Approx 30mb/s - 40mb/s vs usually an average of 80mb/s - 90mb/s
    A have another 240GB card and when use the same card reader on the same USB 3.0 port going to the same drive I get much better speeds.

Has anyone had this issue and is this a sign that the card might be reaching the end of its life? I've had the card for approx 2 years bought it directly from Red USA site, and only I have been using it so I know its been taken care of.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Many thanks!

I don’t think EOL would affect the read speeds. I think both of those are offloading too slow. I’d first try them on a different reader/ system if you can find one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Minogue View Post
    Hi all I have an Official Red Mini-Mag 240GB Card and I've noticed that when transferring data off the card via USB 3.0 the speed is only that of USB 2.0 Approx 30mb/s - 40mb/s vs usually an average of 80mb/s - 90mb/s
    A have another 240GB card and when use the same card reader on the same USB 3.0 port going to the same drive I get much better speeds.

Has anyone had this issue and is this a sign that the card might be reaching the end of its life? I've had the card for approx 2 years bought it directly from Red USA site, and only I have been using it so I know its been taken care of.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Many thanks!
    Wow, I'm having the same issue with my 240gb mag - also purchased a couple years back from Red. I thought it was just the video files, but yes, I've just started noticing that over the past couple of weeks.

Do you shoot ProRes + R3Ds? Is your card formatted in FAT32 or (can't recall name now)? Do you use any sort of special transfer program or app?

Just double-checking that you're using the RED USB cable that came with your reader? A lot of third party cables might be USB 3.0 compatible but are designed for charging and thus have slower data speeds. Not as big of an issue with USB Micro-B connector as most cables with that connector are designed for data transfer. But I've fooled myself several times with USB-C connectors and the different types of cables they can be.

I don't know if RED still disables SMART on the mSATA media in the mags, but it might be possible to query it and see what errors/diagnostic information pops up. SSDReady and SSD Life are two programs you can try out on the media, that might yield some sort of information.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.E View Post
    Just double-checking that you're using the RED USB cable that came with your reader? A lot of third party cables might be USB 3.0 compatible but are designed for charging and thus have slower data speeds. Not as big of an issue with USB Micro-B connector as most cables with that connector are designed for data transfer. But I've fooled myself several times with USB-C connectors and the different types of cables they can be.
    Yep - definitely using their brand of seemingly industrial-strength cable. I have no issues with speeds on my 120gb minis I bought at the same time, it's just the 240 :/

Just shoot the usual .R3D file on an Epic Dragon. Always formatted internally....which I'm pretty sure is FAT32.
    Transfer was just the usual windows file transfer through explorer.

At least its not just me. The main thing thats making me nervous is that when I run two separate cards in the same setup there is different speeds.

Thanks for the help. I'll look into it and see what comes of it.

Quote Originally Posted by BrendanLeahy View Post
    Yep - definitely using their brand of seemingly industrial-strength cable. I have no issues with speeds on my 120gb minis I bought at the same time, it's just the 240 :/
    Same here. Original cable and speeds don't change with the other 240GB card I have just one particular card is slow.

Have you tried secure formatting the slow card? (Worth a shot.)