Quote Originally Posted by Jacek Zakowicz View Post
Again, there is no difference between focus error showing for retrofocal and non retrofocal lenses. No matter what they say on the internet... but then again- I've only done it for 32 years...
That iris location in the rear is called exit pupil and we use it to design and verify adapters among other things.
Also, since the dawn of the reflex cameras all wide and normal lenses are retrofocal to make space for the rotating mirror. So why are we talking about non retrofocal lenses= we don't use them....
Ok now I understand!! I was about to note that I clearly know this and therefore why say it...but I went back and read my 1st post :-(....in my 1st post on this I used retrofocal when I should have (and clearly meant to considering every post subsequent) say tending towards image plane/space telicentric or something similar...My bad... and sorry for confusion!...

However I still don’t agree with you on the original issue but the clear failure of my hurried original post means at the moment I don’t have the time to do so...but because it is prob very boreing for others perhaps i’ll PM you 1st

... also even though I agree tending to image space telicentric is not the same as retrofocal..... retrofocal lenses by definition have exit pupils at a distance from the image plane greater than their focal length SO I do feel my small slip isn’t as confusing as I think you made it.

Ps Also as a side note (and completely irrelevant to the tiny disagreement) are you saying that no potential cinema lens we could be using today in the normal range are non-retrofocal? Would you include a 50mm?

PPs Also do you see modern retrofocal design as binary? Or within modern design is it more a matter of degree?