Thread: Unloading Red files on the go in 2019

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
    Jesus god, no.
    God forbid anyone do anything outside of Marc Wielage school of footage ingest.

Calm down grandpa.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael Lubtchansky View Post
    ... on it
    Put me down!!!!! im in!!!!!
    Director Of Photography
    RED Weapon Helium - Gemini
    --Official Sigma Pro--
    www.TimurCivan.com
    Timurcivan@gmail.com

So I finally got my Gnarbox 2.0 (1TB SSD) from their Kickstarter campaign. Gotta say, it's a slick little device. It's had a few quirks in getting the firmware updated but overall it's impressed me. It has two USB C in/outs, dedicated SD slot (and weather-sealed door can close with card in the slot while actively backing up), it can detect new files between backups from the same card, and it has MD5 checksums. Right now I'm just using it on my XT3 for family/fun stuff, but I figured after some testing it could be a handy unit to have on the road. I have tested a Mini Mag offload and it detected the card just fine and unloaded without a hitch.

It kind of blows my mind that between a Gnarbox, XT3, Ronin-SC, and iPad Pro you could have a whole portable little production studio that charges completely via USB C.
    ---
    Epic-W #001633
    www.joshbecker.net

Is R3D playback on iOS just wishful thinking or is there actually movement on that? I did look into it in the past but unless Red support it then it's not going to happen?

Great to see the iPad Pro working though, i generally haul around my MBP but the advantage is that i can offload a 480GB in around 15 mins. Sometimes speed is needed as i am cycling through mini mags. So what is the fastest we've seen on the iPad Pro?

thanks
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paulcurtis View Post
    Is R3D playback on iOS just wishful thinking or is there actually movement on that? I did look into it in the past but unless Red support it then it's not going to happen?

Great to see the iPad Pro working though, i generally haul around my MBP but the advantage is that i can offload a 480GB in around 15 mins. Sometimes speed is needed as i am cycling through mini mags. So what is the fastest we've seen on the iPad Pro?

thanks
    Paul
    Oops-- edit: realized you were talking about general iPad playback above--

I too would like some sort of R3D playback/preview and going back to the Gnarbox thing I started testing, I think they had mentioned the device (or the app?) having the ability to create transcoded files for you. So even if R3D playback isn't possible, it would be interesting if something could generate some proxies for us (without needing them created in-camera)

The Gnarbox actually doesn't *need* to be connected to anything else for use, so you're right that you can't review R3D files via the iPad app, but as a purely stand-alone device the Gnarbox will completely backup RED Mags to its internal SSD and do an MD5 checksum. I should fire off some shots with ProRes proxies and see if those can be played back via iPad.

As for speed, it is a bit slower than my MacBook Pro (testing a half-filled card now, taking about 20-some minutes) but it's also a lot easier to stash in my camera kit since my laptop doesn't often come with me.

The next thing I'm curious about testing is its ability to backup to another drive (Samsung T5 on the second USB port). Not sure if they've added that functionality yet but it would be nice if you could do dual backups or if I could test for speed improvements writing to only the T5 vs the internal drive.
    ---
    Epic-W #001633
    www.joshbecker.net

Quote Originally Posted by paulcurtis View Post

thanks
    Paul
    Wishful thinking but if RED implements a Metal enabled decode of R3D it is likely possible, especially for the lower resolution Red footage. OTOY has had a Metal variant of their Octane GPU renderer for awhile and have demo'd it running on iOS devices.