Thread: Unloading Red files on the go in 2019

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I was curious so I bought a Kingston Nucleum USB-C hub. - https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Nucl...SIN=B076BGJXTG

I chose this one because it has USB-C power passthrough and also has an additional USB-C port and SD car readers. And..

It works!

This is a 12.9" iPad Pro, getting power through the hub via USB-C charger, with a RED mini-mag reader connected, as well as an SD card. All being recognized as expected in iOS 13. Really makes me want an R3D playback app and a tool like Hedge on iOS.

I wanted to try even more scenarios out, so I got my Anker USB-C battery (Anker PowerCore+ 20100 USB-C, I mainly use these to power my Sound Devices MixPre6), and with one of these connected to the passthrough power port on the hub, I was able to power and use: RED Mini-Mag reader, G-drive USB-C SSD, SD card reader all at once and copy between them all.

Very cool to see this all working!

I think it would be much more interesting to be able to connect a mini-mag reader and playback R3D footage. If I have a red camera with me it is extremely easy to also have a MBP in a backpack for backups, but would definitely be cool to review footage on an iPad as well.
    Last edited by andrewhake; 09-13-2019 at 06:58 PM.

Just a follow up note after using it for a couple weeks, larger external HDDs like a 4tb wont spin up presumedly due to power output from the USB-C port, but SSDs work great. Also Ive noticed transfer speed is seemingly limited to 160mb/s, but perhaps its my cables Ive ordered more to test.

Quote Originally Posted by Timur Civan View Post
    Is it fast? Cause if it is.... that’s my new offloading setup.
    With the setup mentioned above. I was able to copy a 1GB R3D (.RDC folder) to the local iPad storage in 6.5 seconds. Copying same clip to G-Tech slim SSD direct from mini-mag reader took 35 seconds (probably due to cable being used or possibly power?, took the exact same time to copy from local storage to SSD, with or without the hub). Copying the same file from mini-mag reader direct to G-tech SSD on a MBP took 25 seconds. Copying direct to the internal MBP PCIe storage took 4 seconds. Would definitely be interesting to test more of the USB-C SSD storage devices on the iPad Pro. The speeds when copying to the internal storage are pretty impressive though!

Didn't try copying to SD card as that isn't really a setup I would ever really consider.

The one thing iOS 13 is missing for large file transfers is a good progress bar. You will see a greyed out version of the file until it is finished copying to its location. I would love to see the people at Hedge put together a nice dedicated app and do some testing to see which external storage devices work best.

Quote Originally Posted by Cole Sprague View Post
    Just a follow up note after using it for a couple weeks, larger external HDDs like a 4tb won’t spin up presumedly due to power output from the USB-C port, but SSDs work great. Also I’ve noticed transfer speed is seemingly limited to 160mb/s, but perhaps it’s my cables I’ve ordered more to test.
    Which SSDs have you tested with so far?

Quote Originally Posted by andrewhake View Post
    Which SSDs have you tested with so far?
    So far the Samsung T5, and the SanDisk Extreme are both working on my end.

It wouldn’t surprise me if in the next two weeks, there is a Metal optimised version of R3D playback in the Red SDK.

As Apple’s new ML core (in the iPhone) houses 1TFLop of h/w accelerated matrix multiplication - and this (Tensor like) function is leveraged in the real time CUDA accelerated playback, there might be a way of tuning R3D playback on future Apple Mobile devices.

I was looking to hand optimise iPad R3D playback (just before JL announced the Nvidia fork) - but found the heavy lifting ‘hiding’ behind the RED API.

Hopefully we’ll find out about Metal & R3D playback (inc new Komodo redcode variation?) when the Modular Mac Pro (with AB) becomes available to the masses.

AJ

Jesus god, no.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Senior Member Mikael Lubtchansky's Avatar
    I would love to see the people at Hedge put together a nice dedicated app and do some testing to see which external storage devices work best.
    ... on it
    foolcat : HTML / PDF visual reports for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for iOS
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for Android
    foolcolor.net staying hungry, staying foolish facebook instagram

Would love to see Red develop an app that allows R3D playback of some sort. I would imagine an iPad Pro is capable of playing back some R3Ds at some resolutions. Or as others mentioned maybe something like Hedge for iPad.
    Can I also Imagine HydrogenOne as well (lol)
    No, I do not RENT MY GEARS... - NYC (Times Square)

EPIC-D with 9" touch, 4 RAVENs, RPP, Sigma 18-35 PL, Motion Mount, VF/RED-rock wireless FF, Pana 17", JVC 20", Seadicam with SEGWAY, Letus 4-Axis with L'Aigle Exoskeleton.

Trash-Can 12-core Max'd-out) +MBP (Retina), RED Rocket (Sonnet), RAID system (Promise Pegasus II), Adobe Production (CC), FCS2, Resolve 12 with MC Color, 50" 4K Panel

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael Lubtchansky View Post
    ... on it
    Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Kwan Khan View Post
    Can I also Imagine HydrogenOne as well (lol)
    Doubt it would be fast enough (sips tea).