Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Introducing RANGER Gemini and RANGER Helium

Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Respect.

Great work Jarred.

Jarred - I hope we get to see Komodo 6K “Full-Frame” in Ranger form as well for $10-15k.

If you do this and include a decent version of Dual Pixel Autofocus I will sell all of my Canon gear. The C500 MKII would be my perfect camera if it had an RF Mount and 4K 120fps (full sensor readout w/ no crop).
    Alkali Digital
    Director | Cinematographer | Editor | UFOlogist

3. #43 Right sized 
    Perhaps with the Komodo for use cases where smaller is better - DSMC3 could be more Ranger-like?

There are certainly benefits to an expansion module topology where one can choose the appropriate back end for a particular situation. That said, the Rangers have enough built in connectivity for most use cases, including a locking XLR. Some of the extra size is to support quieter cooling, which is a good trade off in my world.

As long as we have Komodo for gimbals, arrays, drones, etc...

Cheers - #19

I really love the Ranger. I think this is a brilliant plan. Also, looks like a lot of room for horsepower and sensor upgrades in the future too :)
    Red Dragon-x "Big-Skippy"

www.imaginationx.com

really great idea, also a good way to keep selling cameras without having to come out with a bunch of new ones that depreciate our current ones. kudos. I work mostly on music videos so my camera almost lives on a gimbal, so not for me, but definitely awesome. I love how it has the rosette at the bottom.

You think there will ever been a Full Frame size 5K dual ISO Ranger? like the Gemini, but larger photosites?
    I have to try and change the landscape, whatever it is.
    -Robert Plant

I do love the Ranger body a whole lot and I've been mulling this over and will for a minute. For productions that need a truly out of the box production friendly camera with no fuss, this is where it's at. Think DSMC2 + Production Module = built into one body with a quieter more efficient fan.

I'm super into the 5-Pin Stereo XLR connector, extra SDI Monitor, and various AUX Power ports. Jarred's mentioned the bigger fan and cooler/quieter operation. I can confirm that as a couple of times I had a hard time knowing if the camera was even turned on over the ambiance in the room. That is one of the big strengths of this body type.

Other quick thoughts. I really, really like the riser grill plate above the fan. Many will deploy the top handle, it's great for an Easy Rig for instance, but that little gap is a great place to grab the camera from and it's got cheese to mount goodies on.

Here's a tale of two cameras, DSMC2 w/ the previous gen REDVOLT Expander (the newer Production Module is a bit more ideal IMO) and the RED Ranger:

Both rigged approximately the same. The pros of Ranger is that's the camera, rigged up and ready to go with the advancements in cooling and a more production friendly body type as well as being a bit more ideal for typical rentals. Pros of DSMC2, well modularity. You can make the cameras smaller and build them out as needed.

Size-wise, Ranger is only ~7.5lbs w/ PL Mount and a Battery Plate. Very much usable on gimbals still.

I'm still really, really into the cableless concept for the monitors. It's been sort of a god send for quick setups straight out of the case or bag, but many are on noga arms. I think an offset plate with a locking bolt to extend the top LCD rigidly out a few inches to the operator side would be cool, but a pretty niche thing perhaps.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    I'm still really, really into the cableless concept for the monitors.
    I'm sure the tech exists for a wireless red monitor w/touch screen controls... that would be perfect for gimbal

does the Ranger drain batteries quicker? is that what Jarred was referring to?
    I have to try and change the landscape, whatever it is.
    -Robert Plant

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffery Anderson View Post
    I'm sure the tech exists for a wireless red monitor w/touch screen controls... that would be perfect for gimbal

does the Ranger drain batteries quicker? is that what Jarred was referring to?
    Not too much quicker, I still worked with it very much the same like DSMC2 in terms of a daily power draw. Officially RED DSMC2 Monstro for instance is about a 50Wh camera w/ the Base Expander, 7" Touch, and media. Ranger is about 63Wh which is a bit more hungry, but not by much.

On a 150Wh brick you'll be getting just shy of 2.5+ hours typically and you always will power down at 5% or so with DSMC2. Ranger you get shy of 2.5 hours typically. All depends on the bricks and all that.

I mainly tell people RED is about a 60Wh system because of variances in temperature and modules. Ranger can certainly feed more power to accessories from the get go which will drain things faster.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Great to see this option. One question. Can you still use the sidehandle on it?
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069