Thread: Can you crop youre output in Davinci? Or are you stuck with youre timeline resolution

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Can you crop youre output in Davinci? Or are you stuck with youre timeline resolution 
    I have shoot alot of fx clips that I like to export out and there is some flags, and rigging that is pointless to keep in the shots. It would be more clean to just crop out these. In premiere this is simple but I have not manage to do this in davinci. I would think it would be a crop tool on the delivery page.
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069

In Resolve, timeline resolution is never fixed. You can change it in the project settings at any time. So, to crop out your unwanted elements, just zoom in on them using the transport tools in the edit page inspector. If you want fewer pixels in the resulting file, reduce the timeline dimensions in the project settings.

How do you know you have 1:1 pixels and not doing any additional scaling? Seams Abit backward doing this.
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069

Use output sizing in the color page
    JAKE WILGANOWSKI
    Director of Photography / Filmmaker
    CINE-AUTOMATIC.COM

Chapter 9 in the Resolve 16 manual, "Image Sizing and Resolution Independence," is a critical one and I often tell Resolve users to read it twice. There are an ocean of options when it comes to setting input sizing, render (output) sizing, and monitoring sizing. All three can actually be different. And you can crop without scaling at all if you don't want to. There's a lot of flexibility, but it's fair to say the settings are not intuitive.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Will check chapter 9. Thanks Marc.
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069

if i had to, i'd just draw a mask,
    but really any VFX artist could/would do the same in seconds flat
    i prefer to send the VFX crew exectly what i have 1:1 no changes, no art, no mess'n
    and send a lut or CTL alongside

Go to Project settings - Image scaling, and set Input Scaling and Output Scaling to "Center crop no resizing" That way you will get 1:1 pixels in the timeline and in the export.