Thread: WHICH IS THE BEST 3-LIGHT KIT FOR UNDER $1000? ...NEWBIE

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. #1 WHICH IS THE BEST 3-LIGHT KIT FOR UNDER $1000? ...NEWBIE 
    Hello everyone, thanks for all your input on my last thread about THE BEST USED CAMERA INVESTMENT UNDER $10K.

I am currently shopping for lights to shoot interviews and the likes; just basic 3 points lighting setups, nothing too elaborate, and at the same time I will like to invest in something durable and with intelligent science behind it. Don't mind paying extra for stands, etc.

Any pointers will be helpful.

thanks
    A contradiction is not a sign of defeat. It marks the beginning of a start towards progress.

For an interview kit under 10k you have lots of great options. I would lean on RGB lights as some office locations have horrible lights or at the very least mixed temperatures. The Litepanels Gemini has saved my but on many occasions.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gundu View Post
    For an interview kit under 10k you have lots of great options. I would lean on RGB lights as some office locations have horrible lights or at the very least mixed temperatures. The Litepanels Gemini has saved my but on many occasions.

Hi Bob, my budget is only $1000
    A contradiction is not a sign of defeat. It marks the beginning of a start towards progress.

oh the cheap....... I did lighting on a APTN network show this spring and they sent 2 Falconers 18td bicolour flex lights and they worked great for what they cost. That with a Fiilex 360 form BH on sale and you are around $1000. The FalconEyes come with a built in soft box and the fiilex is enough to light the back of your subject...... $1000 really isn't much money so its pretty crazy what you can get now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Falcon-Eyes...IAAOSwMEBao5u2
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...led_light.html

Quote Originally Posted by John David James View Post
    oh the cheap....... I did lighting on a APTN network show this spring and they sent 2 Falconers 18td bicolour flex lights and they worked great for what they cost. That with a Fiilex 360 form BH on sale and you are around $1000. The FalconEyes come with a built in soft box and the fiilex is enough to light the back of your subject...... $1000 really isn't much money so its pretty crazy what you can get now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Falcon-Eyes...IAAOSwMEBao5u2
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...led_light.html

Oh yes, the cheaper would be a reasonable way to go for me right now. Are there any drawbacks to buying bi-color lights? Thanks

For $1K? Probably some used Arri Tungsten units.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Seems like there's not much the market has to offer for $1000

I would second the Falcon eyes light mats. I have 6 of them and use them all the time. You could get 2 of those and one of the knock of 50-80 watt led dedos for well under a grand and that would serve just fine for interview set ups. Add some dimmers and a box of bulbs for practicals, and there's not a lot of interview set ups you cant handle.

Nick

Arri Kit

I also use 6 of the Falcon Eyes RX-18T, thanks to Nick's suggestion a couple years ago.
    Filmmaker, Actor
    Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | YouTube
    Epic-X Dragon #08468 | Sigma Art 35/1.4, 50/1.4, Rokinon 85/1.4