Thread: RED GEMINI ISO issues

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 RED GEMINI ISO issues 
    Hey guys i just got my Gemini and had a lot problems with noise.

I noticed that if i using ISO 800 in LL, i can have a better image and less noise than if I do 3,200 ISO LL

I already did black shading for Standard & Lowlight, i don't know what I'm doing wrong, any help?

Here I leave some images so you can see what I'm talking about

My Setup
    Leica 90mm F2.0
    ISO 800 LL & 3200 LL
    Lowlight OLPF

Samples:
    https://we.tl/t-tn1AtUYvIF

Edy,

The TIFF images don't tell us much but iff you post a R3D frame grab then the metadata will be helpful in understanding what is going on. If I had to guess image 1.3 is 800asa and 1.5 is 3200? The image looks very high key with virtually no fill light. The image also looks underexposed at 800asa and the key side only just exposed at the 3200asa setting. Cranking to 3200asa is offering little benefit in the dark areas as it is so dark the sensor is still starved of light. I am not familiar with the Gemini sensor but I am not suprised if there is more sensor noise at 3200asa. BUT there should be less noise in the 3200asa image if you adjust the underexposed 800asa image to match the 3200asa image. Also both images seem to have a small lift in the black level and in an image where there is very little or no exposure this will reveal the noise floor. In normal practice you would not do this as no exposure equals black and there is no benefit lifting it.
    Tom Gleeson

What software are you using? Make sure set to full resolution and grade from a log state.

Before I was being lazy and I was setting my color space to wideredgamma and the gamma to bt1886 and notice a lot more noise when I grade from those settings.. When I grade from log310 it is a lot better

Edy your best bet is to post an .R3D frame, that way we can see what you're doing.

It's also hard to read noise in a still image.

As a rule, I would say that 800 Gemini is not spotless. There is a smidge of noise in the shadows if you underexpose (much like with an Alexa).

This is probably what you are seeing.

If you want a noise free image in dark scenes, maybe take a page from Christopher Probst and ISO down to 400 or 320 ISO, and adjust your exposure accordingly. That extra stop you open up in the shadows makes a huge difference in noise, on any camera.

Good luck.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Boy oh boy are we spoiled. Both of those images look pretty amazing lolol.

General rules for Gemini:
    -LL mode will reduce your DR a bit. If you're going to be at 800ISO, you should just be in standard mode anyway. LL mode is intended for 3200+.
    -Agree with above: be certain you're grading via 3G10 image base...this tends to always give me the best results.
    -That image does look considerably on the lower end of exposure, so if you had room to open up, try to give yourself a bit more space between the goalposts.

Above all else...there's grain in life, homie. Ain't nothing wrong with a little texture ;-) Shots look rad.

Quote Originally Posted by Edy Martinez View Post
    Hey guys i just got my Gemini and had a lot problems with noise.

I noticed that if i using ISO 800 in LL, i can have a better image and less noise than if I do 3,200 ISO LL

I already did black shading for Standard & Lowlight, i don't know what I'm doing wrong, any help?

Here I leave some images so you can see what I'm talking about

My Setup
    Leica 90mm F2.0
    ISO 800 LL & 3200 LL
    Lowlight OLPF

Samples:
    https://we.tl/t-tn1AtUYvIF
    IDK...this does look noisy to me:

but it's because the blacks are raised (16-235 instead of 0-255?).

Now it doesn't:

Definitely dark but I think it can fit a certain look/style. Pulling the mids up even more so I'm hitting it with some pretty strong de-noising and then grain. Not super clean by any means but I do like the feel honestly.

Also got JPEG'd to hell
    Nathan Nichols
    Motion + Edit + Color
    Raleigh, NC

natype.com / @mynam3isnathan

FWIW, I've always used "high-key" to mean bright with lots of fill, like an insurance commercial.
    http://www.magicgoggles.com

Red Epic Dragon #7703 "Ilsa"