Thread: Need help with creating DCP

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Need help with creating DCP 
    Hello friends,

I am a new filmmaker and recently got my first film accepted into a film festival, which I am very exciting about. The festival is requesting a DCP, and I am trying to figure out how to create a DCP to give them. There is a service I found online called simpleDCP.com, but there estimate is around $1000, which seems huge. Alternatively, I see that Premiere Pro can export DCP's, although this festival has indicated that DCP's created with Adobe using the quivis wraptor plugin are not compatible with their projection system.

My qeustion is, is there any fast and cheap way to export my film as a DCP using my editing machine? Or am I really going to have to drop $1000 to have a 3rd party vendor do this for me? I am having trouble finding info on Google.

Thank you SO much for your help in advance.
    Omar

Quote Originally Posted by Omar N View Post
    Hello friends,

I am a new filmmaker and recently got my first film accepted into a film festival, which I am very exciting about. The festival is requesting a DCP, and I am trying to figure out how to create a DCP to give them. There is a service I found online called simpleDCP.com, but there estimate is around $1000, which seems huge. Alternatively, I see that Premiere Pro can export DCP's, although this festival has indicated that DCP's created with Adobe using the quivis wraptor plugin are not compatible with their projection system.

My qeustion is, is there any fast and cheap way to export my film as a DCP using my editing machine? Or am I really going to have to drop $1000 to have a 3rd party vendor do this for me? I am having trouble finding info on Google.

Thank you SO much for your help in advance.
    Omar
    When I haven't had access to EasyDCP then I have used these with great results:

https://www.opendcp.org

https://dcpomatic.com

Make sure you read up on color spaces, naming conventions, frame sizes and frame rates.

similar discussion on LGG:

https://www.liftgammagain.com/forum/...-for-me.13316/

what i wrote there:
    - link your master in Resolve in a YRGB 23.98 project, the free version is fine for 2k, you''l need the $300 version for 4k
    - set Resolve's export to jpeg2000, DCi_xxx, 24fps, target folder called xxxxx_picture, hit go
    - keeping the same in/out points, turn off video export, turn on audio, export 6ch qt
    - open DCP-o-Matic (also free) link to the picture folder + audio file
    - set DCP-o-Matic to match the format you wrote out, in the video tab it will say format matches DCP, that's good
    - set the audio tab to map 1->1,2->2, 3->3 on and on, the Qt will show incorrectly, but it's really ok, this is a Resolve thing going on since v12.5
    - check the timming, they should be identical
    - hit "make DCP", and it copys and re-wraps the files and adds the metadata, takes about 15 min on my machine, disk speed dependant
    - format a drive to Ext3/inode128 in Paragon's Linux translator ($40), and copy to the drive
    - chk it in Resolve, walk away happy

Is your $1,000 quote based on a 4K 90-minute film at $12/minute? That seems to be the standard DCP cost.

I had bad luck trying to make a DCP with Premiere a couple years ago, and ran into more problems than solutions. But that could just be a product of my ineptitude.

There's a writeup on Kakadu for Resolve here, if you're looking for cheaper options, albiet with some leg work:

https://noamkroll.com/how-to-make-an...adu-cinematiq/

Thank you everyone for the replies! This is helpful. The quote I got was 2K 70 minute film.

I am wondering though, what is the difference between paying someone else $1000+ to do a DCP vs just downloading DCP-O-Matic for example, and just using that? Is there any reason not to do it my self using free software?

Had to do some digging to learn what "DCP" is. Posting this for others who also may not have known:

FAQ – WHAT IS A DIGITAL CINEMA PACKAGE (DCP)?

https://simpledcp.com/technical-guid...a-package-dcp/

You don't pay for the software when you pay for the mastering, you pay for the person using it, you pay for his experience.

It's the same when you hire a DOP, an actor, an editor, a colorist, etc... Sure, you can do everything by yourself, but anyone experienced enough will notice it. There is a reason why experienced professionals are hired ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Omar N View Post
    Thank you everyone for the replies! This is helpful. The quote I got was 2K 70 minute film.

I am wondering though, what is the difference between paying someone else $1000+ to do a DCP vs just downloading DCP-O-Matic for example, and just using that? Is there any reason not to do it my self using free software?

There is quite a few ways to mess things up when making DCP´s I made quite a few. Its a sketchy process always different specs wanted by different festivals etc. If it was me I and it was important I would ask someone to do it for me and I think 2k USD is not too much for good sleep. When you sent out the DCP and people start mailing you about the audio levels being wrong or channels are in the wrong place or picture has the wrong colors / can not be seen etc. Then its quite nice to just forward those emails to whoever did the DCP... :)

To make one is not difficult, whats more problematic is to know if it will play correctly in the cinema where its supposed to be shown. Sure you can make it send it in advance, ask them to check it etc. But yes experience is is billable.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro