Thread: Switched from RED to BMD...

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Switched from RED to BMD... 
    This was a TOUGH decision to come to but ultimately the right one (IMO) for our business, work and market. I apologise the video is long. There's links with timestamps in the description to specific sections if you just want to get my views on a certain topic/aspect. Really appreciate and respect the community here, would love your thoughts and opinions as (constructively) critical as they may be.

Your first observation is spot on: watch it in 1.5x playback. ;-) A 40 minute Dear John video is not required. We all get it. RED is a great camera system. I sold mine when DSMC 2 came out and the price skyrocketed. Nothing personal, it's business.

My current project has me shooting everything on an iPhone and an Insta360 One X. And that was a specific client decision for several reasons. The look as well as being able to explain the penny-pinching we're doing. It's part of the story. I'm up for the challenge and have to say, am really looking forward to toting a lot less gear.

Back in 2010, I hired SnapRoll to fly my RED for a client. The MoVi didn't come out until a year later. Had to use Warp Stabilizer and it still didn't get out the thump-thump of the helicopter. But today, like virtually everyone does, I have my Part 107 and a Mavic 2 Pro. Not a RED, but able to get many a "good enough" shot. The gimbal and drone changes over these past nine years have been insane.

It's ALL changing. Daily.

Horses for courses. BTW, my brother-in-law is from Dampier. Just up the street from you.

After selling your Scarlet-W and Scarlet-X, did you guys end up pocketing any money after getting the Ursa Mini G2/Pocket 6k?

Also, how do you find battery life and boot-up time on the Ursa Mini G2? I was under the impression that it was similar to DSMC1 and 2? Like how much runtime do you get out of a 90wh?

Here's some more fuel for the fire. My buddy here in Toronto has a BM Ursa 4.6 and the sensor just died after a year and a half. BM doesn't even think its feasible to repair. I guess as gear gets cheaper, don't expect much customer service.

http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.ph...lining-to-help

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    After selling your Scarlet-W and Scarlet-X, did you guys end up pocketing any money after getting the Ursa Mini G2/Pocket 6k?

Also, how do you find battery life and boot-up time on the Ursa Mini G2? I was under the impression that it was similar to DSMC1 and 2? Like how much runtime do you get out of a 90wh?
    Yes have money left over for sure. Boot up time faster than dsmc 1 and 2. Dramatically faster than dsmc2. Ill come back with a proper evaluation on battery life

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gundu View Post
    Here's some more fuel for the fire. My buddy here in Toronto has a BM Ursa 4.6 and the sensor just died after a year and a half. BM doesn't even think its feasible to repair. I guess as gear gets cheaper, don't expect much customer service.

http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.ph...lining-to-help
    I hear about this after uploading. I fortunately have a 2 year warranty which helps (through Leederville cameras) in Australia only I think. But its disappointing u cant purchase additional warranty

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelan View Post
    Your first observation is spot on: watch it in 1.5x playback. ;-) A 40 minute Dear John video is not required. We all get it. RED is a great camera system.

The gimbal and drone changes over these past nine years have been insane.

It's ALL changing. Daily.

Horses for courses. BTW, my brother-in-law is from Dampier. Just up the street from you.
    Thanks Mark! Love the dear John comment lol. Vidz wont be this long in future. Thanks for your insights! DAMPIER!!!

I like that we've come to this point where there really are options now for high end and long term use cameras, no more flavor of the month H.264 8-bit wonder cameras! Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed filming with my Nikon D90, Canon 5D Mark II, and eventually my Sony A7S which I still use, but now having extensively used my RED One MX and seeing all the benefits of RAW and that high end 4K workflow, I've really come to appreciate the Blackmagic Pocket 4K which was a major lifesaver for some of our reshoot shots on my first feature. Now we're looking pretty hard at equipment for our next film and while I wouldn't doubt we'll be using the RED One MX again, the thought of the Blackmagic Pocket 6K along with an Ursa 6K or even 8K model is a pretty intriguing idea if Blackmagic follows through from now until next NAB. If we had full 6K from the Sony FX9, that would have been a nice option too since we do love the A7S and have a bunch of adapters ready to go. But in practical terms, it's really just the same game it always was, it's just now the cameras offer much better image quality and RAW codecs. It's wonderful that RED's movement brought us all to this point and they are still, in my opinion, the image quality standard for cameras going forward but there's really no practical point of being a "RED-only" shooter or business as the options out there provide for a lot more flexibility than we've ever had technologically speaking. Granted, if we could be all RED with 8K and beyond all the time, we would but at this point it's not in the budget so on that point, Blackmagic is really killing it and I wonder what the competition will do to respond.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Butler View Post
    DAMPIER!!!
    I know, right? Who is EVER from Dampier? Or actually BEEN there?

My wife's family moved there when she was ten. Her younger brother was born there and had dual citizenship when he was a child. They moved back to the states about six months after he was born. Had this same conversation years ago with Mark Toia at NAB.

Talk about in the middle of nowhere. Dampier is pretty much the end of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack Birlew View Post
    I like that we've come to this point where there really are options now for high end and long term use cameras, no more flavor of the month H.264 8-bit wonder cameras! Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed filming with my Nikon D90, Canon 5D Mark II, and eventually my Sony A7S which I still use, but now having extensively used my RED One MX and seeing all the benefits of RAW and that high end 4K workflow, I've really come to appreciate the Blackmagic Pocket 4K which was a major lifesaver for some of our reshoot shots on my first feature. Now we're looking pretty hard at equipment for our next film and while I wouldn't doubt we'll be using the RED One MX again, the thought of the Blackmagic Pocket 6K along with an Ursa 6K or even 8K model is a pretty intriguing idea if Blackmagic follows through from now until next NAB. If we had full 6K from the Sony FX9, that would have been a nice option too since we do love the A7S and have a bunch of adapters ready to go. But in practical terms, it's really just the same game it always was, it's just now the cameras offer much better image quality and RAW codecs. It's wonderful that RED's movement brought us all to this point and they are still, in my opinion, the image quality standard for cameras going forward but there's really no practical point of being a "RED-only" shooter or business as the options out there provide for a lot more flexibility than we've ever had technologically speaking. Granted, if we could be all RED with 8K and beyond all the time, we would but at this point it's not in the budget so on that point, Blackmagic is really killing it and I wonder what the competition will do to respond.
    With BM cameras it is worth buying from a dealer that sells aftermarket extended replacement warranties. They don't have a stellar reputation for reliability or service. The low price is only possible using economical manufacturing techniques that aren't easily serviced. This pretty much extends to about everything they make. If the guts plus the labor to replace them cost more than a new camera, you are out of luck when it fails.