Thread: Monstro would not start - what does this repair statement mean?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Monstro would not start - what does this repair statement mean? 
    Our Monstro suddenly wouldn't start one day. The fans spun rather fast whenever we gave it a try but nothing like a boot up or anything. Just a rather scary fan noise (like a hair dryer).
    It was sent in to CVP and was repaired but the only info I was given was this:
    " Loss internal connection from IOB board - flex reconnected. Passes all tests."

I am unsure about what problem was exactly, but it sure sounds like a cable disconnected...?
    If this is true I am extremely dissappointed that a camera with this price tag can turn into a brick because some internal cable can go loose. We have been spending a lot of money on renting in replacements and time on getting this fixed, so I am really dissappointed if this is the case.

But maybe I am wrong. Does anyone know what this repair statement mean specifically?

Thanks,

Thor

It sounds like that's exactly what happened: flex cable came loose inside the camera, they reattached the cable, and it passed all QC tests... Can you ask CVP to confirm?

I will ask them come monday.

Is this really what you can expect from a camera with this price tag - imagine being on a high end commercial and the camera stops working, because a cable came loose inside... A cable comes loose! I am flappergasted that this can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor Hampus Bank View Post
    I will ask them come monday.

Is this really what you can expect from a camera with this price tag - imagine being on a high end commercial and the camera stops working, because a cable came loose inside... A cable comes loose! I am flappergasted that this can happen.
    I would say this is probably rather rare. Like extraordinarily rare. I've never seen it happen for sure anywhere out here. Haven't seen a post here or on the other groups about it either.

It's unfortunate for sure.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

If you have not seen camera failure on a commercial shoot... Then you did not pay attention or you have not been to many such events. Camera fail, sombody makes a call and rental house normally sends out a replacement very quickly.

That said. I bought my EpicM right when they cane out. It was later upgraded to dragon that got stolen and replaced with a dsmc2 dragon, upgraded to helium and then monstro. Had zero problems and never ever sent in to have the brain repaired. That is like 10 years of pretty hard use in some rough conditions.

My experience says that Red cameras tend to fail early or not at all.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame / VFX / Motion capture / Monstro

Senior Member Jens Jakob Thorsen's Avatar
    I have had one critical failure in 11 years of heavy use. My Epic X died in a small village 3 hrs outside Mexico City on a commercial. I took 7 hrs to get a new on from the city. We got the shot.
    Pretty reliable cameraline.
    Jens Jakob Thorsen DFF
    Director of photography
    Denmark
    www.jensjakob.com
    mail@jensjakob.com
    Monstro VV

Update: It was a connector that somewhat failed. Is more like a metal piece than a cable, but still a connection of some sort. Not a "ordinary" cable as I first thought.
    The message from the engineer was that it wasn't (and couldn't) be caused by anyone using the camera; it's a part that failed inside the camera without any exterior cause. Not very comforting after only 1000 hours on the camera clock .

Every person has their own experience - a Citroen can be a very reliable car to an owner with no issues, but many has a different experience :) I love this camera and the things it can do, but I really hope this was just bad luck and that everything will be smooth sailing from here on out.