Thread: Gemini vs Scarlet ISO - Surprising results.

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Gemini vs Scarlet ISO - Surprising results. 
    I have been filming with Gemini's and using a Scarlet-W as a third camera. I have noticed about a stop difference between the exposure setting and Im wondering what would account for this. If the Gemini is exposed for 400 iso the Scarlet would need to be at 800 iso. All other setting are of course the same.

Anyone know why this is?

There is a new ISO calibration in the unified DSMC2 bodies which reflects the CORRECT ISO value, prior to that 800 ISO on a RED camera really meant between 400 to 500 on a light meter... which meant that if you wanted a true 800 ISO you would have to set the camera to 1600. This was one of my major complaints toward RED and I am very happy they addressed it. On a Scarlet-W (Dragon sensor) you will see noticeable noise on 1600 ISO whereas the Gemini will produce a very clean and Organic image. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Bobby Farokhzad; 10-02-2019 at 08:05 AM.

It does answer my question. Thank you! Does this apply to the new Dragon X as well? I’ve noticed it is by and large the same camera as the scarlet-w, but does it also have this one stop iso improvement?

Quote Originally Posted by CamBryson View Post
    It does answer my question. Thank you! Does this apply to the new Dragon X as well? I’ve noticed it is by and large the same camera as the scarlet-w, but does it also have this one stop iso improvement?
    I had the Dragon 6K Magnesium prior to upgrading it to Monstro and it did NOT have the new ISO calibration. I am not sure about the new Dragon X, maybe someone from RED can chime in on this.

Easiest way to check this is within REDCINE-X PRO, right click a clip to view metadata and look for "ISO Cal". ISO Cal 2 is the 1 stop under the hood improvement which better matches light meters.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

IIRC, RED applied the new ISO scale to helium sensors forward. Dragon doesn’t and I can’t see why they would add to that confusion by applying it to Dragon-X but not any of the other cameras with Dragon sensors.

But to get the same experience on a Dragon cam you could always add a stop of brightness by setting it to a stop higher ISO, or go under the hood and add a stop in FLUT or exposure slider depending on which firmware you’re running.

Yup, Brent confirmed on the dragon-x launch thread that they did not change to the new ISO calibration... but with the rest of the IPP2 benefits..