Thread: Michael Bay’s 6 Underground, RED Bayhem Camera, and The Komodo Bayhem

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I think the grade fits Bay's over-the-top aesthetics pretty well.

I believe the handheld shots were done by the RED Bayhem. The Venice was dedicated (my assumption) to the wide shots, techno crane, russion arm and so on.

I think some of you are being a little harsh on the color theory here. It may not be to your liking (nor mine), but it's just a matter of taste. It doesn't look cheap to me. One thing that does often make something look cheap is the overabundance of extreme close-ups.

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    I think it looks a bit uneven in it's grade and lighting. Sometimes it looks good, sometimes it looks flat. Sometimes the skin tones are nailed, sometimes they look unevenly saturated. Overall what I do when grading is pulling out magenta slightly, always make skins look better.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

I feel like the look is not necessarily to my taste, but I wouldn't say it's bad. It was graded by Stefan Sonnenfeld who's work I absolutely love:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3Hk2_jJ..._web_copy_link

I like it.

This is what Sonnenfeld said about working with Bay:

"There are guys like Michael Bay who will literally get mad at me if I start to try and match up things. It is not realistic. When you are in an action scene and there is smoke and fire and car crashes and guns and this and that it is haphazard. It is craziness. Why would every little piece of image have to look the same? It is boring when it is one canvas. It is one-dimensional, not three-dimensional. But once in a while, it is appropriate.”

Quote Originally Posted by jussi rovanpera View Post
    This is what Sonnenfeld said about working with Bay:

"There are guys like Michael Bay who will literally get mad at me if I start to try and match up things. It is not realistic. When you are in an action scene and there is smoke and fire and car crashes and guns and this and that it is haphazard. It is craziness. Why would every little piece of image have to look the same? It is boring when it is one canvas. It is one-dimensional, not three-dimensional. But once in a while, it is appropriate.”
    I like that quote.

I remember in 2007 when digital was taking off we weren't sure where it would land. With the Alexa, we ended up with a very good imitation of film. And that look sort of took over, and even film is graded now so it looks like Alexa to me. And it all looks great...

But there was an era where digital as digital was an experiment some directors were embracing. Zodiac felt this way and to Fincher's credit he's continued to embrace a clean digital look over a "film look." This looks a lot like Miami Vice to me and I thought that was a movie with really cool cinematography. Even Speed Racer I liked. So I think it's cool to see something pushed this far in this direction whether it's my style or preference or not.

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    See, while I appreciate all the comments, particularly those in favour of the film, my problem is not really with the colour. It's with the feel of the image. It's not right.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | Martini Ultra (blog)

http://i68.tinypic.com/drcb4y.jpg

Analog > Camera feel optimization http://omeneo.com
    Digital > Camera performance optimization http://omeneo.com/primers

imdb

"Como delfines en el fondo del oceano
    volamos por el universo incentivados por la esperanza"

"L'esperanza", Sven Väth
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards"
    Jung/ Carol