Thread: Shooting doors off from a Helicopter

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Shooting doors off from a Helicopter 
    Hey Guys.

Have a tourism job coming up
    We are proposing shooting doors off from a helicopter. just wondering if anybody has done this much?
    how were the vibrations ? did you use a gimbal? eazy rig?

( we are shooting in the middle of australia so we cannot take much grip equipment, we will have a movi pro though, just working out if thats our best approach or handheld?

thanks

I did once handheld. Only my slowmotion stuff was usable. 24p stuff usable for still frames on high shutter of course.

I would propose you change your proposal to include a helicopter with proper camera gimbal like a GSS or Shotover gimbal if you want great footage. Out the door is only good for stills.

I have done it with a Ronin....was not ideal...one thing with doors off and a gimbal is to make sure to stay out of the wind blast....gimbals tend to freak out uncontrollably.
    Forged CF Helium 8K 00107
    Scarlet X 02249 (The Gateway Drug)
    Fujinon Cabrio 19-90 Version 2
    RED Pro Zooms and Primes
    Director/DP at https://www.butcherbox.com

Living life by the ocean.

Some helicopters companies have gimbals they can install before your flight. I'd ask. It can get bumpy up there especially if you're in a lighter Robinson R44. Also, you might be leaning at times (towards where the door used to be). Handheld alone is not easy. If you must, I'd bring some bungee cords to rig up inside.
    Filmmaker - Photographer - Designer
    www.eperez.tv

Any reason to be up there instead of flying a drone. Out the door footage from heli tend to look quite docu style while good drone footage for the same amount of money will normally be uite stellar.

Get a proper gimbal or... Bring a drone, fly it next to the chopper ;)
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Drone is gonna be way cheaper, and way smoother. Can't remember the last time I shot out of a real helicopter.....

Nick

I have a good friend who was drafted into doing the "beauty shots" of Tampa Stadium for a weekend CBS Sports TV football event in the 1970s. He strapped himself into place wearing a harness and let his legs dangle over the edge of an open-door copter and handheld a live camera with a microwave feed back to the truck, which they used every time they came in and out of commercial. A couple of times, the helicopter banked at a steep angle to get a better shot, and my friend nearly slid out, but the straps seemed to hold him in place.

As the game ended, they landed the craft in an adjacent parking lot. My friend laid the camera down and was horrified to discover that the second strap was not bolted to anything! There was a hook on the end, but they forgot to actually clip it to the bracket on the wall. So he was "this close" to dying on the air, all just to get a shot. Let's just say things were pretty loose in the 1970s.

If you shoot out of the doors of a helicopter, make absolutely sure you are double/triple-held firmly in place and there's no way you can fall out.
    marc wielage, csi • colorist/post consultant • daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

https://vimeo.com/225531030 Using Movi pro
    https://vimeo.com/82706597 Hand held

Shot out of Heli's loads without proper mount. Shooting 50fps takes out the bumps (neither film has been stabilised in post). Works really well. The London skyline happened as drone was so expensive, and couldn't stray from the Thames. Plus I got to keep rights to the footage. The shots over the Iger in the Alps was great fun. Self funded and within an hour of landing I had sold the footage to the tourist board and then BBC. I bought a full body harness and strapped the camera to me keeping it lens only.

Stay safe and have fun
    I've got a black belt in keeping it real!

Quote Originally Posted by Giles Harvey View Post
    https://vimeo.com/225531030 Using Movi pro
    https://vimeo.com/82706597 Hand held

Shot out of Heli's loads without proper mount. Shooting 50fps takes out the bumps (neither film has been stabilised in post). Works really well. The London skyline happened as drone was so expensive, and couldn't stray from the Thames. Plus I got to keep rights to the footage. The shots over the Iger in the Alps was great fun. Self funded and within an hour of landing I had sold the footage to the tourist board and then BBC. I bought a full body harness and strapped the camera to me keeping it lens only.

Stay safe and have fun
    Yes high alltitude, far from object and hardly moving and streifing/shooting sidways works well no need for gimbal in sush shot just shoot short shutter and things can be stabilized in post.

flying fast looking foward and passing close is a different scenario.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro