Thread: Working with LUTs - Ben Davis

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Working with LUTs - Ben Davis 
    Working with LUTs || Ben Davis

By
    CookeOpticsTV

https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/10/...ben-davis-bsc/

Other CookeOpticsTV Case Studies can be see here on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-Y...Tn1hvbA/videos
    Last edited by rand thompson; 10-05-2019 at 11:17 PM.

xxx

One great acchievement of Arri, make dop stick to one camera because the dop want to be confortable with the sensor they are working with.
    This is also the problem of Arri they are bound to a more conservative way of changing their sensor tech. Contrary of RED wich has Gemini, Helium, Dragon, Monstro, Komodo in their shop.
    I'm not arguing wich approach is better though.

Pat

A very good interview, and it jibes with my way of working with LUTs.

I think a lot of beginners looking for some "trick" to getting good results think the LUT is a magic bullet. I see people asking Roger Deakins for his LUT all the time, as if that LUT is the reason Roger's work is so good. Most LUT's are just to convert from Log to Rec.709 gamma for on-set monitors and dailies, with some personalized tweaks to black level or saturation, etc. After that, it's all about photography and lighting.
    David Mullen, ASC
    Los Angeles
    http://www.davidmullenasc.com

Thank you Patrick and David for you thoughts on this subject matter!

I believe Luts should be used to help better tell your story not to cover up poorly white balanced images or bad pre/post processing decisions.

I personally just like to "Correct and Enhance" the image through a manual grade scene by scene.

To expand further on the use of color in the form of a Lut, Set/Art design and or Lighting, here's another case study from Cooke.

Using colour in cinematography || Seamus McGarvey || Masterclass

By CookeOpticsTV

Senior Member Satsuki Murashige's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by David Mullen ASC View Post
    A very good interview, and it jibes with my way of working with LUTs.

I think a lot of beginners looking for some "trick" to getting good results think the LUT is a magic bullet. I see people asking Roger Deakins for his LUT all the time, as if that LUT is the reason Roger's work is so good. Most LUT's are just to convert from Log to Rec.709 gamma for on-set monitors and dailies, with some personalized tweaks to black level or saturation, etc. After that, it's all about photography and lighting.
    Thatís very true, itís definitely not a magic bullet. But it can allow you an extra bit of control in how your images look, which is a great tool to have. Beyond creating Ďa look,í LUTs can also be helpful to Ďfixí camera-specific issues like magenta-biased shadows, skewed or desaturated primary colors, improving highlight roll-off, etc. It is nice to have the control to dial things to your personal taste in pre-pro, instead of relying on the manufacturer for the Rec.709 transform, or needing a colorist to fix things in post instead of sweetening whatís already there. I think the key is to test extensively and make the tool fit your own workflow instead of just slapping on someone elseís LUT and hoping for the best.

I agree that the simple viewing/dailies LUT process is very similar to printer lights and works great, so long as you are not changing ISOs in-camera all the time (or going too extreme with in-camera white balance). Otherwise, you can get unexpected clipping and other color oddities depending on the quality of the LUT. Unfortunately, I find the Red IPP2 workflow to be less flexible for this working style, since I donít think you can have an in-camera LUT overlaid on RWG Log 3G10 and applied to metadata. So you are forced to either view Log and apply your LUT downstream, or use the IPP2 Rec.709 transforms which sometimes subjectively look good, and other times not so much. Iím happy to be proven wrong if someone has a workaround for this.
    Last edited by Satsuki Murashige; 10-06-2019 at 01:07 PM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by David Mullen ASC View Post
    Most LUT's are just to convert from Log to Rec.709 gamma for on-set monitors and dailies, with some personalized tweaks to black level or saturation, etc. After that, it's all about photography and lighting.
    The problem is those have issues with DR and gamut utilization and density distribution so light and photography is affected by image interpretation on that transformation preview. So they propagate underexposure.

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki Murashige View Post
    Beyond creating ‘a look,’ LUTs can also be helpful to ‘fix’ camera-specific issues like magenta-biased shadows, skewed or desaturated primary colors, improving highlight roll-off, etc.
    Exaclty. And much more.

I agree that the simple viewing/dailies LUT process is very similar to printer lights and works great, so long as you are not changing ISOs in-camera all the time (or going too extreme with in-camera white balance). Otherwise, you can get unexpected clipping and other color oddities depending on the quality of the LUT.
    Technical flaws and image oddities are mostly because typical LUTs are not fully normalized.
    That is avoidable.

Unfortunately, I find the Red IPP2 workflow to be less flexible for this working style, since I don’t think you can have an in-camera LUT overlaid on RWG Log 3G10 and applied to metadata. So you are forced to either view Log and apply your LUT downstream, or use the IPP2 Rec.709 transforms which sometimes subjectively look good, and other times not so much. I’m happy to be proven wrong if someone has a workaround for this.
    You can view RWG Log3G10 with a LUT applied in "legacy" (standard) camera mode.
    http://i68.tinypic.com/drcb4y.jpg

Analog > Camera feel optimization http://omeneo.com
    Digital > Camera performance optimization http://omeneo.com/primers

imdb

"Como delfines en el fondo del oceano
    volamos por el universo incentivados por la esperanza"

"L'esperanza", Sven Všth
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards"
    Jung/ Carol

Good clear interview... I appreciate Cooke’s efforts to do this!