Thread: Sigma fp

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Sigma fp 
    I've not seen a thread on this here. I think it's a really interesting option. Small enough to mount on a red like a go pro!

Full frame 4K DNG RAW movies to an external SSD or some variants of that internal to an SD Card. 6K Stills. Tiny, tiny case. Would be great with Leica M lenses.

I'm wondering where the main issues will be.

It's under $2k

Probably the same 6K Sensor that everyone is using - is that a Sony?

cheers
    Paul
    -------------------
    insta: @paul.c.70

Looks like bad rolling shutter

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Ziegler View Post
    Looks like bad rolling shutter
    I thought it was pretty good, seemed stable to me - where are you seeing bad rolling shutter?

I would need to see some RAW files really

My concern is that they're saying 4K RAW from a 6K sensor - so does that mean a 4K crop of it? The alternative is that they're processing the whole frame and writing out RAW but that doesn't really make any sense - it's not really RAW then. So if the 4K is a crop of the sensor then i'm not so interested. Also they're stating 24p and that doesn't work for me (in 25p land)

Even so the promise of RAW from a camera you can literally stick in your pocket is pretty awesome!

i think the stills look good. I'd be interested in replacing my a7sII with this and my M mount lenses...

cheers
    Paul
    -------------------

If you look at Timur's lovely footage, I think there's some issues with the skin tones and transitions.

Maybe it's a symptom of the 8 bit DNG, but there's weird colour transitions on the skin tones, like a kind of banding more something else is going on.

There is banding too on the background, but I think I can forgive that or put it down to YouTube,

I see it most in the slow motion shot where there looks like a pink and then green stripe down the subjects arm and though her face as she turns around.

I'd be hoping that is just because it's not final firmware / calibration, but it's distracting to me.

I want to like this camera so much, but I worry about the RS and I worry about how limited the record codec might be.

JB
    John Brawley
    Cinematographer
    London UK
    www.johnbrawley.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    I want to like this camera so much, but I worry about the RS and I worry about how limited the record codec might be.
    Me too.

It only has an electronic shutter so to my mind the RS ought to be good otherwise it would be useless as a stills camera if it was bad.

What i've realised though is that all the movies appear to be a 1.5 crop, meaning that the 4K RAW (and the other 4K formats) are centre crop from that 6K sensor. The data rate for 4K RAW ought to accommodate 25p but i've sent sigma UK a question which they say they've forwarded on.

This would have been early firmware but 8bit RAW is pretty pointless unless it's log based (like BMD) if it's linear 8bit RAW then forget it. Only the 12bit would work.

So there might be some odd decisions being made but until people see it we don't know for sure.

It's a shame they can't just dump that 6K out of the sensor onto an external USB C SSD, it's just a data rate issue, not processing - assuming the sensor itself can be read that fast...

cheers
    Paul
    -------------------

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    If you look at Timur's lovely footage, I think there's some issues with the skin tones and transitions.

Maybe it's a symptom of the 8 bit DNG, but there's weird colour transitions on the skin tones, like a kind of banding more something else is going on.

There is banding too on the background, but I think I can forgive that or put it down to YouTube,

I see it most in the slow motion shot where there looks like a pink and then green stripe down the subjects arm and though her face as she turns around.

I'd be hoping that is just because it's not final firmware / calibration, but it's distracting to me.

JB
    It's youtube compression. Utterly pointless to judge the compression quality of a camera by looking at highly compressed streamed footage.

There might be some really interesting uses for these where you would normally have to use something tiny like a GoPro. But you can also do that with the plethora of other great full frame mirrorless cameras as well.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewhake View Post
    It's youtube compression. Utterly pointless to judge the compression quality of a camera by looking at highly compressed streamed footage.
    You don't know that for sure. It could be. But if the banding was on the original then you'd never know.

The simple fact is 8bit raw in a linear container would be banding central and we don't know how these movies were shot

cheers
    Paul
    -------------------

Quote Originally Posted by paulcurtis View Post

It only has an electronic shutter so to my mind the RS ought to be good otherwise it would be useless as a stills camera if it was bad.

Maybe, but I have a feeling that if you're NOT shooting continuous video, then you can clock the sensor out faster for shorter time periods...

Quote Originally Posted by andrewhake View Post
    I don't think it's only youtube.

Banding is banding.

I'm looking at the colour transitions. There's normal-ish looking skin, then as the exposure moves towards darker, there's two vertical colour bands that track as she moves.

The banding may enhance the seeing of it, but the colour has to be there in the first place for that to happen.

So that's why I wonder if those colour transitions are there in the original footage.

JB
    John Brawley
    Cinematographer
    London UK
    www.johnbrawley.com