Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Red Rocket X + Mac OS Catalina

Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    One of my clients uses their owned RED EPIC DRAGONs and when you add in ProRes proxies, it lowers the maximum quality of the REDRAW compression being recorded. We couldn't shoot at the compression ratio we normally use after adding proxies. That's not acceptable in a professional environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post
    248 fps for full-HD/2k? and what kind of ProRes?, to be honest I have no idea. What it can do is ~280 fps 4.6k BRAW at 3:1 (CPU limited) and so can the cheaper $2k cheaper 3970x (stock settings).

The biggest advantage of the workstation compared to the Mac Pro is that it can handle every current codec and resolution in realtime for a fraction of the price.
    Our current systems (3950x) can only do ~180 fps 4.6k BRAW at 3:1 (the max we need at that resolution is 120 fps, the camera can't shoot more fps at that resolution).
    That 248fps number is taking 3.2k ProRes4444 LogC Alexa Mini footage in Resolve, applying a LUT and exporting to 1080 ProResHQ or ProResLT files, which is what most post houses ask for. Whether it's LT or HQ does not seem to affect performance.

Quote Originally Posted by gillianseed View Post
    That 248fps number is taking 3.2k ProRes4444 LogC Alexa Mini footage in Resolve, applying a LUT and exporting to 1080 ProResHQ or ProResLT files, which is what most post houses ask for. Whether it's LT or HQ does not seem to affect performance.
    Totally shocked that a 3.2k->1080 prores conversion is faster than an 8k -> 1080p debayer+transcode!

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Meyer View Post
    Imagine how much they would have sped up if you were on a high end workstation! Note you’re comparing your render speeds to a 10 year old machine.

I have a Mac Pro and I like it for rare instances when OSX is required, but using the right tool for the job is generally the best approach in the professional world.
    FWIW regarding using a 10 year old machine, my 2010 Mac Pro had the maxed CPU and RAM possible in that motherboard, 500MB/s RAID and RED Rocket-X and 2 - Nvidia TITAN Blacks in a PCI expansion chassis.

Quote Originally Posted by Antony Newman View Post
    RED-ROCKET-X INSTALL in MacOS CATALINA

UPDATE : 2020 Mar 07 : Worked for 1 x Person

As mentioned here at the steps involved in Manually Installing a 3rd Party Kernel Extension in Catalina
    (Refs for steps at the bottom of the thread)

STAGE 1 : Get Kernel Extension(‘kext’ file ready)

+) Download redrocketx.kext.zip file from : https://we.tl/t-tgHfGHhwnN
    (this file will exist for the next 7 days in WeTransfer)
    +) Decompress redrocketx.kext.zip on Desktop
    +) Go into ‘Terminal’ App
    +) Change directory to Desktop in ‘Terminal’

cd /Users/YOURUSERNAME/Desktop
    (replace 'YOURUSERNAME' with your Desktop user name)

STAGE 2 : Before installing Kexts, disable Gate Keeper and mount the System Partition as Read/Write in ‘Terminal’

sudo spctl --master-disable
    sudo mount -uw NOTE: Even if this Fails : The overall process can work
    sudo killall Finder

STAGE 4 : Use ’Terminal’ to copy extension into directory (as copying with Finder will not work properly for kext files)

sudo cp -R redrocketx.kext /Library/Extensions

STAGE 5 : Repair permissions. Rebuild permissions in ‘Terminal’

sudo chown -v -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions
    sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
    sudo chmod -v -R 755 /Library/Extensions
    sudo chown -v -R root:wheel /Library/Extensions
    sudo touch /Library/Extensions
    sudo kextcache -i /

STAGE 6 : Reboot machine

With any luck at this point - this might be all that is needed to RocketX driver working in Catalina.

=============================
    Reference information (1) Main script details on installing Kexts on Catalina gleaned from:
    https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/g...talina.268964/

Reference information (2): Location of 3rd party Kext files.
    I used finder on my own Mac Pro 2013 running Catalina & RRX.

Reference information (3): I have checked the ownership of all files in /System/Library/Extensions on my machine to confirm they are all owned by ‘root:wheel’ (as detailed on the tonymacx86 site ref 1)

AJ
    THIS 2nd METHOD 100% WORKED FOR ME. RED Rocket-X now seems to be functioning completely normally in both RED Cine-X and Davinci Resolve 16 under Catalina, and I'm now getting 120fps renders out of Resolve.

Totally shocked that a 3.2k->1080 prores conversion is faster than an 8k -> 1080p debayer+transcode!
    It's the % of performance gains I'm comparing versus two different computers, not the speeds between camera systems.

Also got the RED Rocket-X working under Catalina just now with the help of Antony here. Getting ProRes render speeds of 120fps in Resolve now. I'm happy. It's fast for all camera systems now, and I can make ProRes files still in Resolve. All is well with the world.

Quote Originally Posted by gillianseed View Post
    Also got the RED Rocket-X working under Catalina just now with the help of Antony here. Getting ProRes render speeds of 120fps in Resolve now. I'm happy. It's fast for all camera systems now, and I can make ProRes files still in Resolve. All is well with the world.
    Glad to hear it.

When Resolve implements the Metal r3d SDK, be sure to test with and without the Rocket. It can actually be slower than modern GPU debayer.

I’ve got 3 Rocket-x’s on the shelf if anyone wants them.

Gillian,

Fantastic! Glad it worked for you (and that the Red workflow is now performing well)

AJ

10. #50 Did i miss something? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Antony Newman View Post
    RED-ROCKET-X INSTALL in MacOS CATALINA

UPDATE : 2020 Mar 08 : Worked for 2 x People

As mentioned here at the steps involved in Manually Installing a 3rd Party Kernel Extension in Catalina
    (Refs for steps at the bottom of the thread)

STAGE 1 : Get Kernel Extension(‘kext’ file ready)

+) Download redrocketx.kext.zip file from : https://we.tl/t-tgHfGHhwnN
    (this file will exist for the next 7 days in WeTransfer)
    +) Decompress redrocketx.kext.zip on Desktop
    +) Go into ‘Terminal’ App
    +) Change directory to Desktop in ‘Terminal’

cd /Users/YOURUSERNAME/Desktop
    (replace 'YOURUSERNAME' with your Desktop user name)

STAGE 2 : Before installing Kexts, disable Gate Keeper and mount the System Partition as Read/Write in ‘Terminal’

sudo spctl --master-disable
    sudo mount -uw NOTE: Even if this Fails : The overall process can work
    sudo killall Finder

STAGE 4 : Use ’Terminal’ to copy extension into directory (as copying with Finder will not work properly for kext files)

sudo cp -R redrocketx.kext /Library/Extensions

STAGE 5 : Repair permissions. Rebuild permissions in ‘Terminal’

sudo chown -v -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions
    sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
    sudo chmod -v -R 755 /Library/Extensions
    sudo chown -v -R root:wheel /Library/Extensions
    sudo touch /Library/Extensions
    sudo kextcache -i /

STAGE 6 : Reboot machine

With any luck at this point - this might be all that is needed to RocketX driver working in Catalina.

=============================
    Reference information (1) Main script details on installing Kexts on Catalina gleaned from:
    https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/g...talina.268964/

Reference information (2): Location of 3rd party Kext files.
    I used finder on my own Mac Pro 2013 running Catalina & RRX.

Reference information (3): I have checked the ownership of all files in /System/Library/Extensions on my machine to confirm they are all owned by ‘root:wheel’ (as detailed on the tonymacx86 site ref 1)

AJ

I got to the table a little late. PLeeeeease, would you be able to repost the redrocketx.kext.zip. The weTransfer link has expired. You would make my life sooo much better Right now. I've een pulling my hair out about having to upgrade OSx!!!