Thread: DRAGON in the used marketplace - question

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain Philpott View Post
    The EU has just brought in legislation of 'Right To Repair'. At the moment I believe it only applies to household appliances but there is growing calls for it to be rolled out to lots of products. They are forcing Apple to make their products more repairable under greater accountability to reduce landfill and reduce climate change. It will be interesting to see how this moves forward.
    RED shouldn't need legislation to do this. Just needs to consider its customer base. Just within the last year, the indie crowd I hang around with has turned extremely sour on RED. This was never the case before. I myself am flummoxed by the thought that my Dragon could become a paperweight soon as it hits any minor or major issue next year. I'm not in the rental business to make money back on the camera before it's end-of-life, and to ask all customers to be so, is not cool.

With DSMC3 coming out next year, promising to make obsolete in terms of demand, the models I currently have, it'll be a tough situation. I'm already dealing with the 5" RED monitor being unrepairable, and RED is offering a 10% discount on a new monitor. That's like asking me to spend thousands instead of a couple of hundred to get the monitor repaired, which has seen low and light usage. This same thing will now be the case with the entire camera model ecosystem.

I'm simplifying here for the sake of brevity. So please don't bother presenting counter arguments. What I'd like, is to understand how and why RED's future moves will be of huge value to filmmakers, even more so than they absolutely have been in the past.

p.s. ARRI's rumored low-cost camera model will give intense competition to RED. More so than anytime, RED has to take a hit of some kind, but keep and even build up loyalty in its user base, especially those who've been with them for a while. This is coming from me -- who joined with EPIC-X, upgraded to Dragon, bought a second RED -- EPIC-W... and am considering the board upgrades for the epic-w... so I'm not just saying any of this without skin in the game.
    ---
    Nikhil Kamkolkar
    Writer/Filmmaker: http://www.IndianCowboy.com
    Latest action short film: "LAILA" https://youtu.be/wq0z8F-LJww

This is indeed outrageous. DRAGON cameras (at least DSMC-1) are basically worthless now. I bought my Epic Dragon back in March of 2015 and speaking for myself at least, the only way forward I see is continuing to shoot with my camera for however long it remains functional. I haven't had a single issue with it in the last 4 years so I'm not really worried. Its images also remain as amazing as they were back when it was released.

With that being said though, I don't see myself buying another RED in the future, seeing how quickly the end of service came about.
    EPIC - X DRAGON #8215 "Allie"

Ive given up on camera ownership.. i just rent.. i sold my scarlet w last year for a bmpcc4k, and my epic x is literally a paper weight. Expensive cameras are tough for ROI when i can rent an alexa mini package on share grid for 400
    Zakaree Sandberg
    Zakaree@Gmail.com
    Cinematographer / Local 600
    www.Zakaree.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil Kamkolkar View Post
    Yep. Can't speak for others, but I'm not looking for upgrades to dsmc1, but the drop for repairs and parts is hard to swallow. Although as a business owner and entrepreneur myself, I understand it makes TOTAL sense for RED logistically speaking. But as a long-time supporter, it's a disaster for the goodwill towards RED, which I'm finding is in shorter and shorter supply from my interactions out there. I continue to support the rebel though. The one that actually made things happen even if they are currently behind the curve. What will be more devastating for RED is the new ARRI low-cost value-laden camera that will soon come out (rumor status! so don't ask me questions about it)
    Wish I knew more about this rumor?

Might lead the ARRI ALEXA Classic cameras to crash down in prices to even more affordable levels....
    http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/ (Sound Recordist based in Auckland, NZ. Happy to travel too)
    https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

Quote Originally Posted by David Peterson View Post
    Wish I knew more about this rumor?

Might lead the ARRI ALEXA Classic cameras to crash down in prices to even more affordable levels....
    4K s35 2020

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

I really do love the images from my Scarlet Dragon. Even if I wanted to buy a Gemini, selling my Dragon is a much less attractive purchase because the buyer wouldn’t be able to get it serviced. Even the other parts lose value because they work on a camera that can’t be serviced. I have to keep it and that means no new Gemini for me.

I think this will effect the loyalty of REDusers who haven’t, for whatever reason, stayed up with the upgrades. For me, the upgrade features weren’t that important. I failed to realize that it was more than features. It was the only way to keep a serviceable camera.

I don’t know how companies manage this. Do they buy parts for repair only? I know one thing. My decades old Nikon 70 - 200 had a cracked focus selection ring and I was able to get it repaired. I know, apples/oranges but it makes me feel great about Nikon - so grateful.

Five years? That’s it? Man...

So long RED! Its been nice but this is too much!
    A Peter Strietmann
    plaidass1@mac.com
    [url]https://peterstrietmann.com

"Read or bleed people, learn or burn."

Currently 20k to 25k can get you a W 8k kit. I'm on the fence about purchasing due to DSMC3 is around the corner. Will the plug get pulled on DSMC2 anytime soon? I'm so torn on this....

Quote Originally Posted by Jamil Stubbs View Post
    Currently 20k to 25k can get you a W 8k kit. I'm on the fence about purchasing due to DSMC3 is around the corner. Will the plug get pulled on DSMC2 anytime soon? I'm so torn on this....
    Look at the pattern. Like any gear, best time to buy is when you need it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...Cinema_cameras

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

I thought about selling - looking at what I could get to replace it. Then I got back to a project I am working on shot on the Dragon. The images, especially since IPP2 are beautiful. Screw it. I’ll just risk it. I’m not selling. I’m just going to keep on shooting with it until I can’t.