Thread: Joker or ARRI?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Joker or ARRI? 
    Senior Member David J. Buchanan's Avatar
    I don't know if it's the Joker's film release or if it's the ARRI Mini LF, but my Monstro is starting to gain some heat... I have it up for sale, but now I'm wondering if I should just let it ride.
    BLACK - Now on Amazon!
    Corporate G&E Package
    Monstro, Zeiss Otus 28, 55, 85
    davidjbuchanan.com | wecofilms.com

Keep it. I will never let my Monstro go..
    Hf, different sensor sizes and enough resolution :)
    Weapon CF Monstro #1119, Weapon Helium, Epic-X #7926 BAM, Raven #220

Are you saying you want to sell your Monstro and get an Alexa Mini LF? I consider the Monstro to be the best sensor out there right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Farokhzad View Post
    Are you saying you want to sell your Monstro and get an Alexa Mini LF? I consider the Monstro to be the best sensor out there right now.
    No, sorry, my urban "black" slang kicks it and some folks don't understand.

What I'm saying is, the aesthetically of the LARGE or MEDIUM format in feature film is becoming popular and therefore I think more want to rent the Monstro, and now instead of selling it, I'm very much on the fence of keeping it.
    BLACK - Now on Amazon!
    Corporate G&E Package

Joker was mostly shot on the Alexa 65 with DNA lenses.
    So not sure why people would necessarily want to work on the Monstro as a result.
    Unless you are saying that in general people want to go to large format because they are chasing a certain look. (Shallow depth of field)
    My argument is that this look is fairly easily achievable today, even in S35.
    Not enough of a reason to hold onto one package vs another.

Truth is if you are debating selling vs renting, you might want to look at the devaluation of recent RED cameras over time vs. how much rental would bring in.

I have found that the segment which rents outside of rental houses in my market doesn't have a lot of pocket change.
    RED Dragon packages can be picked up for as little as 150€/day in Europe. I can only imagine in the US, where RED cams are even more readily available.
    Not sure you want to go down that slippery slope.
    Last edited by C. Burkhart; 10-14-2019 at 12:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Burkhart View Post
    Joker was mostly shot on the Alexa 65 with DNA lenses.
    So not sure why people would necessarily want to work on the Monstro as a result.
    Unless you are saying that in general people want to go to large format because they are chasing a certain look. (Shallow depth of field)
    My argument is that this look is fairly easily achievable today, even in S35.
    Not enough of a reason to hold onto one package vs another.

Truth is if you are debating selling vs renting, you might want to look at the devaluation of recent RED cameras over time vs. how much rental would bring in.

I have found that the segment which rents outside of rental houses in my market doesn't have a lot of pocket change.
    RED Dragon packages can be picked up for as little as 150€/day in Europe. I can only imagine in the US, where RED cams are even more readily available.
    Not sure you want to go down that slippery slope.
    Lots of truth in here.
    BLACK - Now on Amazon!
    Corporate G&E Package