Thread: Does Disney still release some titles at dvd only?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Does Disney still release some titles at dvd only? 
    I'm looking to buy Disney's Descendants 1& 2 on blu Ray for my kids, but all I find is dvd. Is it really possible that Disney would only release dvd versions of those titles?

I found it on streaming services on hd and for digital purchase. But no blu Ray.

Edit 1.
    I bought it on iTunes..but it's strange I did not find any Blu Ray.

Edit 2.
    Damn apple cheated on me. I purchased the 1080 version and its labelled "Descendants (1080p HD)" but looks like rubbish. When checking the metadata its only the 640x360 version. They must misslabeled it on the server...
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069

Have you checked your download settings? Could be it's set to accept SD at the highest or something.

I still hope they will release a Blu-Ray of 20.000 Leagues Under Sea. A great visual movie, and a great movie in general. Would very much like to add it to my collection in HD.

For the record. Apple did not help me out with fixing the faulty movie. They will give me a refound instead...
    Kind of sad that they not fixing there issues. I wonder if their new gaming service and apple tv+ will have the stuttering and artifacty image quality and no effort to fix it!
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069

Descendants 1 & 2 are on the list of movies that will be available the Disney Plus streaming service next month if you plan to get the service:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/14/...nal-geographic

Quote Originally Posted by Mathieu Ghekiere View Post
    I still hope they will release a Blu-Ray of 20.000 Leagues Under Sea. A great visual movie, and a great movie in general. Would very much like to add it to my collection in HD.
    It is a Disney Movie Club exclusive, only available to US and Canadian customers.

Quote Originally Posted by L. Langer View Post
    It is a Disney Movie Club exclusive, only available to US and Canadian customers.
    Thanks. I'm in Europe so. I have it on DVD, but I would very much like a beautiful collector's edition blu-ray, Region B or Region Free, with some good behind the scenes and/or retrospective documentaries. And of course, finally seeing that great production design in HD. But with Disney now doing Disney+ I can't see it being a priority for them.

They offer a good deal of their legacy titles only on DVD, usually the TV movies like "Don't Look Under The Bed" for example. It wouldn't surprise me if some of their newer TV stuff was DVD-only as well as even the latest Scooby Doo movies seem to only come out on DVD these days, although some seem to be getting re-released on Bluray now. iTunes is a little funny as some titles I've had that were SD copies have now been upgraded to HD and I think even 4K for some titles so that's a plus! But then there are titles that aren't offered in HD as well, again, like Scooby Doo, but that all depends equally on the distributor and the content because if there's no HD provided or, if the latest HD remaster wasn't provided for example, then that title is stuck with the SD or old HD transfer/upscaled version. If you're not getting the full HD then, yes, check your settings and make sure it's not defaulting to the SD download option. It's not great for us consumers but if iTunes doesn't provide the title in HD, check Amazon in case you have to double dip and buy it again as there are instances of different versions of media across both platforms, the TV show "Family Matters" being a prime example as there are different extended TV edits of certain episodes that weren't offered on iTunes but were available on Amazon at one point (maybe still, I haven't looked into it in a while).

Quote Originally Posted by L. Langer View Post
    I just found out that blu-ray is region free. So thank you for the information. Now just trying to find it somewhere on ebay or Amazon without paying 60 euros... Shame Disney didn't just release this to the general public...