Thread: Monstro ISO

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Monstro ISO 
    Hello all,

1. I don't shoot a lot of Red and was curious about what is the "native" ISO of the Monstro with Standard OLPF?

2. Does Monstro have the Menu>Image>ISO>New ISO Calibration setting like the Helium does? This boned me last time I shot with the Helium as I wasn't aware of this setting and ended up with some unwanted grain.

3. For standard shooting practices are most people using Log3G10 and ReWideGamut

Thanks

1. You don't want "native ISO". The recommended Base ISO is around ISO 800. I would say for most with the Standard OLPF ISO 800-1600 is a nice place to start.
    2. Yes, Monstro features ISO Calibration 2.
    3. I've been on IPP2 since day one. It provides the best image quality and color from RED cameras.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Thank you Phil.

To clarify on ISO Calibration 2 - that option needs to be checked in the Menu>Image>ISO setting, correct? Is my understanding correct that ISO calibration 2 brought the sensor base down to 640-800? Finally I assume the Gemini being dual ISO does not have this same calibration option.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony DeRose View Post
    Thank you Phil.

To clarify on ISO Calibration 2 - that option needs to be checked in the Menu>Image>ISO setting, correct? Is my understanding correct that ISO calibration 2 brought the sensor base down to 640-800? Finally I assume the Gemini being dual ISO does not have this same calibration option.

Thanks
    Gemini and Monstro are both Calibration 2. This just means that 800 ISO meters as 800 ISO. Calbration 1 was a stop off (800 ISO metered at 400 ISO).

Gemini, as a separate feature, also has TWO iso settings - Standard (from approx 200 to 1600), and Lowlight (from 1600 on up).
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

So I have always shot at ISO 800 with the Standard OLPF. When I mix Monstro with DXL2 I change to the low light OLPF and change the ISO calibration check box and use ISO 1600.

Interestingly on a recent Netflix feature the DOP on 1st unit with DXL2 was shooting a great deal of material at ISO 3200 but I never saw that footage on a big screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lyons Collister, ASC View Post
    So I have always shot at ISO 800 with the Standard OLPF. When I mix Monstro with DXL2 I change to the low light OLPF and change the ISO calibration check box and use ISO 1600.
    For clarity's sake, when you switch to ISO Calibration 2 at ISO1600 to match DXL2, that results in *2* stops brighter than ISO Calibration 1 at ISO800, right? (Switching from ISO Cal 1 to 2 = +1 stop, and going from ISO800 to 1600 = +1 stop.)

Just wondering how much brighter DXL2 is at default/recommended/"native" settings.

I'll have to check my notes when I'm back at the hut, but if I recall correctly the DXL2 is also on ISO Cal 2.

I'm hesitant to post without my notes, but if that's the case:
    - Monstro w/ Use New ISO Cal Selected
    - DXL2

At ISO 800 should net the same image w/ the same OLPF installed.

Which would make sense when Peter has it unselected on Monstro at ISO 1600 to match DXL2 at 800.

All ISO Cal 2 is doing is a one stop boost, mainly to play better w/ meters. It's been the standard way of working for a long while now.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    For clarity's sake, when you switch to ISO Calibration 2 at ISO1600 to match DXL2, that results in *2* stops brighter than ISO Calibration 1 at ISO800, right? (Switching from ISO Cal 1 to 2 = +1 stop, and going from ISO800 to 1600 = +1 stop.)

Just wondering how much brighter DXL2 is at default/recommended/"native" settings.
    For clarity's sake, a production should use ONE calibration at a time.
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    I'll have to check my notes when I'm back at the hut, but if I recall correctly the DXL2 is also on ISO Cal 2.

I'm hesitant to post without my notes, but if that's the case:
    - Monstro w/ Use New ISO Cal Selected
    - DXL2

At ISO 800 should net the same image w/ the same OLPF installed.

Which would make sense when Peter has it unselected on Monstro at ISO 1600 to match DXL2 at 800.

All ISO Cal 2 is doing is a one stop boost, mainly to play better w/ meters. It's been the standard way of working for a long while now.
    I had this same question/dilemma a few months ago while using a Panavised Helium. It appears that the DXL LUT is adding the 1 stop push, and the “ISO CAL 2” setting is disabled in-camera. Same result, different path!
    austinstraub.com | @austinstraub

It would be great Phil if you made something like this, or if Red did. I was talking to a Arri "fanboy". and he showed me this and I thought it looked super helpful.
    Attached Images
    Jacob Schwarz
    Director / DP
    www.jacobschwarz.net
    Monstro 8K (Storm) 33 / Forged Helium 8K #29 / Epic-W
    Follow Me: Twitter / YouTube