Thread: Order of operiation using adjustment layers?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Order of operiation using adjustment layers? 
    Say you have your color correction and grade on the clip itself and put an adjustment layer above all clips in the timelinge. On this layer you add a denoise node. Then you cut for the adjustment layers so that every clip has its own segment above it. Then setting up the denoise for all the clips.

My question is if the denoise would be processed after all the grading in the clip under have ben procesed or if you can set it up so that the denoise on the adjustment layer runs before all other nodes?
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069

ehhh, not sure the entire idea is valid.. think of NR as the visual equlivent of throwing everything into a blender and turning into mush...
    used spareingly, and only where needed (typicaly blue channel + shadows), and only only on the shots that absolutly need it is perhaps a concept worth exploreing ;-)

seem funny/sad to see folks talk about getting every last bit of image quality out of very expensive glass with large sensors, and then turn the resualts into mush in post by carpet bombing the footage into oblivion with NR...

I know what you mean, and share the same view. My images is not grainy, but a very suttle compression suppose to be good for when you compress it for delivery in h264. Also i pixel peep to not mush up the details.
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069

Quote Originally Posted by Dermot Shane View Post
    ehhh, not sure the entire idea is valid.. think of NR as the visual equlivent of throwing everything into a blender and turning into mush... used spareingly, and only where needed (typicaly blue channel + shadows), and only only on the shots that absolutly need it is perhaps a concept worth exploreing ;-)
    Yes, I think Dermot is 100% right here. NR is not a "one size fits all" process.

I typically use it only with noisy underexposed shots, and let the bright day stuff go, assuming it looks good. It is possible to use a splitter/combiner node to just NR the blue channel, and I resort to that trick on occasion.

To me, the Adjustment Layer is one of those tricky things you have to use with caution... very much like the Timeline Node. It's rare I do anything with the latter except a size change/letterbox matte, and that only goes on program -- not slates or bars or leader or any of that stuff.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer