Thread: Kippertie Long Take 2TB Mini Mags *RED APPROVED*

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    At ~ $1700 US this is... epic!

Quote Originally Posted by andrewhake View Post
    Great to have an example of how to go about making a product the proper way and not be an idiot about it. Really makes it clear exactly what was going on in that "other" situation.

Great idea to add the USB-C port! So sick to not need a reader if you are on the go. I'm sure you will sell a ton of these.
    The ironic thing is that, as far as I know, JinniMag were the first to put built-in USBc ports directly in their mags. So you’re (understandably) shitting on them, but then giving kudos to someone else for implementing their idea. LOL!

Anyway, will these work with DSMC1? I love the idea of being able to roll at max FPS/lowest compression and not have to worry about cutting a take short... also digging the price! Good job, John!

Not sure in my work I would ever need 2TB Media but at the $1,800 USD cost for the USB C model the Red 960GB Mini mag at $2,350 is looking like poor value and the 480Gb at $1,450 USD is only $350 cheaper and quarter the capacity ! Qudos to Red for approving the Longtake that directly competes with their own media. The USB C connection is also cool removing the requirement for a Reader with possibly slightly higher download speeds?

I would like to see some pictures of the Longtake SSD mounted on a camera to visualise how far it protrudes? The extra length may make the SSD more susceptible to being pulled out during recording if the camera is being man handled???

I am not sure if I would fill a 2TB drive on a shoot day before backing it up. I have stayed with the 480GB Mini mags so that the recordings on the camera SSDs are turned over and multiple back ups are made before production moves along too far but at the price point the Longtakes look very tempting.

The data Recovery deal with Ontrack.com looks like a nice bonus.
    Tom Gleeson

This is an other fantastic product from Kippertie, very happy for this, bravo John!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gleeson View Post
    ... I would like to see some pictures of the Longtake SSD mounted on a camera to visualise how far it protrudes? The extra length may make the SSD more susceptible to being pulled out during recording if the camera is being man handled???

https://www.instagram.com/p/B39cwpHJzRa/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3_3LWOpVuX/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B39cGxyphA8/
    F I L M M A K E R

AFRODITE FILMS

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gleeson View Post
    Not sure in my work I would ever need 2TB Media but at the $1,800 USD cost for the USB C model the Red 960GB Mini mag at $2,350 is looking like poor value and the 480Gb at $1,450 USD is only $350 cheaper and quarter the capacity ! Qudos to Red for approving the Longtake that directly competes with their own media. The USB C connection is also cool removing the requirement for a Reader with possibly slightly higher download speeds?

I would like to see some pictures of the Longtake SSD mounted on a camera to visualise how far it protrudes? The extra length may make the SSD more susceptible to being pulled out during recording if the camera is being man handled???

I am not sure if I would fill a 2TB drive on a shoot day before backing it up. I have stayed with the 480GB Mini mags so that the recordings on the camera SSDs are turned over and multiple back ups are made before production moves along too far but at the price point the Longtakes look very tempting.

The data Recovery deal with Ontrack.com looks like a nice bonus.
    Agreed. 1TB versions would be amazing too.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

These 2tb sticks have come at a fortuitous time for me!! I was going to buy 960gb red drives and these look more interesting...

Thinking laterally about how such big media can change things...This is perhaps going to change my onset data strategy for all my short(ish) jobs!

At the moment I have someone do 2 separate backups per day but now I think I will count the kippertie SSD as one of the back ups! ... with the 2nd back up on a usbC SSD done at breakneck speed... Anyone else think this is a good way forward? Obviously for long jobs it won’t work..

Had to sleep on it, but I ordered. I have 3X shoots coming up where this is a bit more friendly for my long form work.

I'm trusting you with my footage John. We're practically married now :)
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

I'd love to see 500GB/1TB versions of this.

Ditto!
    A Peter Strietmann
    plaidass1@mac.com
    [url]https://peterstrietmann.com

"Read or bleed people, learn or burn."

Still haven’t heard if these are these DSMC1 compatible (and if not, why not)?