Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: JIM

Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Thanks you Jim for being a large part of the beginning of my film career! Without Red my life would have been very different I think. All the best in retirement and for your health!

Cheers from the Netherlands now,

Paul :)
    Paul Leeming
    Writer/Director/Cinematographer/Actor
    Visceral Psyche Films

www.visceralpsyche.com
    www.LeemingLUTPro.com

TEL: +31 6 2095 2590 (Netherlands)
    TEL: +81 80 8439 4635 (Japan)
    Facebook: Paul Leeming

Epic-X #135 DRAGON (New OLPF)

Frontline Infantry Christian Edwards's Avatar
    What does a motorcycle handgrip salesman know about retirement?!
    All the best Jim! Thanks for the innovations & pushing the boundary of what’s possible.
    Get well soon!!

Happy Retirement Jim!

I only met you once in person, it was at NAB about 8 years ago. I was just moving to Pasadena to work on my MFA at Art Center. I was pretty nervous about the whole situation since I’d never moved from the midwest before and had no idea what to expect, nor did I know anyone.

You asked a little about me and I told you about my recent move. You told me congratulations on going to a really great place and how you grew up nearby. It wasn’t a long conversation, but I remember after feeling like maybe I’m not making a huge mistake.

A few years later, my then girlfriend/now wife had went to RSH to pick up a piece for one of my cameras (she was teaching at a charter school near Inglewood at the time). She had never been there before and thought the place was interesting, you guys gave her a tour of the studios. She was excited about the whole experience. Later she had mentioned that I was supposed to bring in some equipment to demonstrate for career day to her class, but I ended up getting booked. She wondered if you all happened to know anyone that has a similar setup.

Someone from Red came to the classroom to show a bunch of young kids how all this worked. As you know, we are not in a business that does things for free. These kids were maybe 8 years old and lived in an area not known for prosperity. I can’t think of any good reason Red had to do that.

So when I think of Red, I don’t just think of a camera company, I think mainly of these things.

Thank you Jim, I hope retirement brings you whatever you look for.

"4K for 4K" Jim made life high-definition. Pretty cool legacy. Enjoy the free time.

Nice try Jim ;-) I may not be a great reader of people characters but with you it is easy: I know you are trying to retire but , as much I think you've earned it and deserve it - I don't think you will ever retire in the traditional sense. Just can't picture you fly fishing ;-).....
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment

Thanks Jim.
    (long-time reader, first-time poster)

Jim, you've been a blessing. Thank you for your many kindnesses. My best to you and your family.

I never met you Jim but when I filmed your first red employee "Ted from Red" from the early Red One days when BBC's Wallander came out, I sensed he had the same focus & efficacy that you have instilled in Jarred that is completely epitimised in this lovely post below.

Hope you get well soon and enjoy your retirement.

X

Craig Lees
    UK

"I only met you once in person, it was at NAB about 8 years ago. I was just moving to Pasadena to work on my MFA at Art Center. I was pretty nervous about the whole situation since I’d never moved from the midwest before and had no idea what to expect, nor did I know anyone.

You asked a little about me and I told you about my recent move. You told me congratulations on going to a really great place and how you grew up nearby. It wasn’t a long conversation, but I remember after feeling like maybe I’m not making a huge mistake.

A few years later, my then girlfriend/now wife had went to RSH to pick up a piece for one of my cameras (she was teaching at a charter school near Inglewood at the time). She had never been there before and thought the place was interesting, you guys gave her a tour of the studios. She was excited about the whole experience. Later she had mentioned that I was supposed to bring in some equipment to demonstrate for career day to her class, but I ended up getting booked. She wondered if you all happened to know anyone that has a similar setup.

Someone from Red came to the classroom to show a bunch of young kids how all this worked. As you know, we are not in a business that does things for free. These kids were maybe 8 years old and lived in an area not known for prosperity. I can’t think of any good reason Red had to do that.

So when I think of Red, I don’t just think of a camera company, I think mainly of these things."
    Last edited by Craig Lees; 10-25-2019 at 10:41 AM.

Does this mean Red Digital is up for sale? Will Red continue? If the Hydrogen project is done and Jim quickly retires, what does this mean for the future of Red Digital??????

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    Words from Jim:

https://h4vuser.net/t/everything-changes/10600

I have spent the past 45 years building “inventions wrapped in art”.

Just now turning 70 and having a few health issues, it is now time for me to retire.

I will be shutting down the HYDROGEN project, ending a career that has included Oakley, RED Digital Cinema and HYDROGEN. I am very proud to have worked with many great people over the years who have signed on to the vision.

RED Digital Cinema will continue stronger than ever with Jarred, Tommy and Jamin at the controls. Komodo is about to be launched… and the HYDROGEN One will continue to be supported in the future.

I want to thank everyone for the support I have felt over the years…

Jim

Jim is one of the greatest visionaries of our time… and he has accomplished more than most leaders do in a lifetime. Over and Over again. He taught me everything I know, and as sad of a day as this initially may be, I am filled with joy that he finally is taking time to enjoy life.

For RED CAMERA owners/users and fans, nothing changes over here. Jim will continue to smack me on the side of the head when I need it, and his ideas and direction will still flow into this company for years to come. We have prepared for this, and we are stronger than ever.

Thanks Jim, for everything.

Wow Uday, all of us long-time readers are coming out the walls.

Kudos to Jim.

Craig Lees
    UK