Thread: Laptops for editing? Whats your solution to on the go editing?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Laptops for editing? Whats your solution to on the go editing? 
    Hi Everyone!

With all the talk of the new mac pro and pricing/orders around the corner, I am more interested in what everyone is using for their more portable editing machines? For those of us in doc work and similar, it's a bit challenging to travel with a MacPro and I'm curious what works for everyone else.

I just watched a new video by YouTuber (and scarlet owner) PotatoJet on the Razer Blade Studio Laptop with an RTX 2080. The timelines are very simple in this video, but he's editing 5k with no lag at full resolution, and 8k at 1/4 with basic effects (lumetri and a sharpening effect).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TT9Gif_NBk&t=543s

I'm currently on the maxed-out MacBook Pro (2.3 GHz i9, 32gb memory, radon vega 20 4g & intel 630 1536mb) and in adobe premiere am almost always working at the highest 1/4 quality or even 1/8. If the razer is capable of light colour and full-resolution playback at a price lower than what I paid for my current MacBook, I'll buy it right now. In addition to this, I noticed early in the video he said he was on the RTX 2080, not the highest card offered which is the Quadro RTX 5000 (does this mean there's a laptop even more capable than what I just watched?)

Does anyone else have experience with these Razer Blade computers? What laptops are you using for your mobile work and how much do you do before its time to send it off to the edit suite? Do you have a specific field workflow to make life easier?

Thanks in advance! - Mark
    Producer - Cinematographer
    Boston - New York - Los Angeles - International
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    ​DSMC2 GEMINI

WWW.MARCUSADOLF.COM - All active projects (and archive)

I just got in a Dell 7740. 8 core Xeon, RTX 5000, 4 M.2 NVME slots, up to 128GB ram. It plays back 8k r3d 6:1 at full debayer without breaking a sweat.

It is frustrating that Apple will not make a full "desktop replacement" laptop, like the ones they used to make.

In truth, there are good reasons to edit with proxies/transcodes, for the simple reason that you don't need to haul around 40-50-60TB worth of drives around. If you can transcode to HD and just work with that, that's fine for the decision-making process. And that's really the tough part in editing.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
    It is frustrating that Apple will not make a full "desktop replacement" laptop, like the ones they used to make.

In truth, there are good reasons to edit with proxies/transcodes, for the simple reason that you don't need to haul around 40-50-60TB worth of drives around. If you can transcode to HD and just work with that, that's fine for the decision-making process. And that's really the tough part in editing.
    I feel your frustration, but Apple never made a "desktop replacement" laptop. Even when they made the 17-inch Macbook Pro the Mac Pro was way more powerful. Those first "cheese greater" Macs are still being used today.

16” MacBook Pro supposedly gets announced this week. No clue on specs.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Meyer View Post
    I just got in a Dell 7740. 8 core Xeon, RTX 5000, 4 M.2 NVME slots, up to 128GB ram. It plays back 8k r3d 6:1 at full debayer without breaking a sweat.

Noted! I'll add this to the potential replacements for me! Which editing software are you using btw?
    Producer - Cinematographer
    Boston - New York - Los Angeles - International
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    ​DSMC2 GEMINI

WWW.MARCUSADOLF.COM - All active projects (and archive)

Quote Originally Posted by marcus adolf View Post
    Noted! I'll add this to the potential replacements for me! Which editing software are you using btw?
    Premiere, Resolve, RCx