Thread: ARRI m18 Question.

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 ARRI m18 Question. 
    I bought an m18 off ebay and it came with a 220v plug. I was hoping it had a regular plug that could be plugged into a wall, or simple generator. Can I buy a converter for the plug or should I change the plug all together?
    https://ibb.co/NT6NSyG

Looks like a twist lock for a honda genny. If you are mostly going to plug it into a wall, just put an edison plug on it. Keep the plug it came with and make a pig tail to edison at the female end, then you can use both.

Nick

Easy to change that plug out. Curious, what price did you end up paying for the M18? Looking to pick one up myself in the future.

I got it off ebay for $7800 , so I can just buy a Edison plug and swap it out? can anyone recommend one?

I'd call who ever is your favorite gaffer and buy them a beer to help you out, but it's pretty straight forward. Hubbel makes good plugs, just make sure it's rated for the amps, and you are good.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Jason beaumont View Post
    1.8kW / 120V = 15A...WITH NO ROOM FOR ERROR. If you have the slightest extra load between the panel and the receptacle, you'll trip a 15A breaker. Similarly, if you have the slightest load between the ballast and the converter (for example, an extension cord) you'll exceed the 15A spec on that side, too. 20A is the commercial standard, and a reason it's standard is so that it can deliver 15A in real-world conditions (and close to 20A when you pay close attention).
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

So you should be buying a 20A one? I don't know about this electrical stuff.

For sure buy the 20 amp hubbels. Its easy to change out, just three wires. Nice price on that M18 btw. If you ever wanna get rid of it, hit me up!

Just so you know, If you get the 20A plug, it won't fit in a normal shaped 15A outlet. Someone else here posted about putting on a high grade 15A plug and then making sure that the outlet has a 20A breaker, plus a lot of other precautions: http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...=1#post1070412

Also, the ballast will pull a max of 2250VA (almost 19 amps at 120V) so it definitely is not going to work with a 15A breaker at all.