Thread: ARRI m18 Question.

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Jason beaumont View Post
    If you read the specs on that Amazon page, you'll see that it has a peak output of 2000W good, and sustained output of 1600W, which misses the 1800W target for the lamp by 200W.

It's great that you are up-front about the fact that you know nothing about electrics. But nature doesn't care how up-front you are. I'd suggest finding some folks who actually understand electrical supplies, connectors, standards, and above all, safety, and let them guide you to a feasible and safe solution. Electrocution is not the only danger of not understanding how electrics work; fires are often the result of folks doing things they don't understand with equipment they don't really know. Depending on where you live or where you plan to shoot, fires could either be a hazard or they can be a Major Problem you don't want to unleash.
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tiemann View Post
    If you read the specs on that Amazon page, you'll see that it has a peak output of 2000W good, and sustained output of 1600W, which misses the 1800W target for the lamp by 200W.

It's great that you are up-front about the fact that you know nothing about electrics. But nature doesn't care how up-front you are. I'd suggest finding some folks who actually understand electrical supplies, connectors, standards, and above all, safety, and let them guide you to a feasible and safe solution. Electrocution is not the only danger of not understanding how electrics work; fires are often the result of folks doing things they don't understand with equipment they don't really know. Depending on where you live or where you plan to shoot, fires could either be a hazard or they can be a Major Problem you don't want to unleash.
    I don't plan to use this alone, I just got tired of renting them so I bought one. just trying to find out what gene would work well with this without being extremely heavy/cumbersome

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tiemann View Post
    Again, the ballast is 2250VA, so it's going to pull 18.75 Amps at 120V (2250VA / 120V = 18.75A). I'm mentioning this because if it was only 1800W it would be pulling 15 amps, but it is not - it's pulling more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason beaumont View Post
    That generator is only going to do 13.3 Amps, so no. (1600W / 120V = 13.3A - It also says it on page 28 here: https://a-ipower.com/wp-content/uplo...3/SUA2000i.pdf).

However, that generator will work in parallel, so you should be able to buy another one and link it together to get double the amps or 26.6A. Please note: I am not an electrician and just did some Googling to answer this, so you definitely need to do your own homework on this.
    Last edited by Joshua Cadmium; 10-30-2019 at 12:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Cadmium View Post
    Again, the ballast is 2250VA, so it's going to pull 18.75 Amps at 120V (2250VA / 120V = 18.75A). I'm mentioning this because if it was only 1800W it would be pulling 15 amps, but it is not - it's pulling more than that..
    When the Arrimax 1800 first came out there was a lot of discussion on these boards regarding whether the Arri M18 can operate off a standard wall outlet. As Joshua pointed out, it will draw 18.75 amps at 120V and will always trip the common 15A house circuit and will trip a 20A circuit if there is something else, like a computer or light, on the same circuit. Where you can't always know what else is on the same circuit, or even if it is a 20 or 15 Amp circuit, it is risky to plug the Baby Max into the wall, which is why it is against the US National Electrical Code.

NEC Section 210.23 (A) (1) Cord-and-Plug-Connected Equipment Not Fastened in Place states: “The rating of anyone cord-and-plug-connected utilization equipment not fastened in place shall not exceed 80 percent of the branch-circuit ampere rating.” Section 210 of the Code also requires that, unless listed for 100% usage, the ampere rating of the overcurrent protective device (breaker) protecting a circuit be de-rated to 80% of its listed ampacity when powering a load for twenty minutes or more.

I have found that the only reliable and code compliant way to use the M18 off house power through a wall receptacle is by using a small step-down transformer/distro to step-down the output of a 240V receptacle (like a dryer, range, or air conditioner outlet) into a 60 or 100A 120V circuit and then use a real film 60A snack box or 100A lunchbox with 100% rated breakers.

Paul Dean, Gaffer

Remember, you also have the option to run a 1200W bulb in an M18 if supply is tight.