Thread: Can the latest MacBooks Pros playback 8k RED files in say 1/4 res?

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Meyer View Post
    Shouldn’t be a problem if the metal support is decent. Any of the recent higher end mobile Nvidia GPUs can do full debayer 8k no sweat.
    At 5:1 24fps?

My 2018 MacBook Pro with i9 6 core, Vega 20 and 32GB RAM can edit 6K 50p R3Ds, 8:1 in FCPX. Proxies makes it miles better, but it works...

16" maxxed out can play 1/4 res 29.97 no problem.
    Director Of Photography
    RED Weapon Helium - Gemini
    --Official Sigma Pro--
    www.TimurCivan.com
    Timurcivan@gmail.com

My macbook pro plays back in "potato" mode

Quote Originally Posted by Timur Civan View Post
    16" maxxed out can play 1/4 res 29.97 no problem.
    Depends on the compression. In my testing it needs to be somewhere between 7:1 and 10:1, otherwise 1/8 is the max resolution without any stuttering. Tried it yesterday on my maxxed out 16".

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelan View Post
    Depends on the compression. In my testing it needs to be somewhere between 7:1 and 10:1, otherwise 1/8 is the max resolution without any stuttering. Tried it yesterday on my maxxed out 16".
    Thank you for posting... pretty disappointing! I assume you are talking about 8k FF?

Really hope Red sorts this out with metal support ... ARRI and Sony files will present no problem re playback..

Curious what happens to AMD cards on Windows. Is Red and the broader industry really going to support 3 GPU compute API? Cuda and Metal, ok, but OpenCL is dead in the water.

Really depends on the software, and will hopefully get much better soon once Red puts out an update for Metal R3D playback. Performance in latest FCPX is already quite good, and honestly usually unnecessary to playback in 'Better Quality' viewer mode on a smaller screen. I don't have many situations where I care about full quality debayer when I am moving quickly on a laptop and it always jumps back to the full debayer when playback stops. The quality is all more than adequate to make any editing decisions that need to be made and easy to move through the footage.

Hopefully R3D Metal support will roll out soon and you should be able to do full debayer as well. Even with that though I think I would normally just default to working in lower debayer on playback for editing. But should help quite a lot for full quality rendering.

And don't forget any added support for Metal should increase performance nicely across any recent Mac, as we already saw with that latest FCPX update.

All I really care about is will my new MacBook 16 be I able to playback my rushes on a shoot at good enough quality for me to check things over (prob in redcine but would like Resolve) .. and 1/8 at 8k is just not good enough (also at 4K 1/4 is just not good enough).... this basic issue is not an issue with any other camera system on a specced up Maclaptop...RRX was great but didn’t work with post dragon footage on a laptop so I had to get rid of it...

After reading the various comments, I decided to see which RED R3D files could be viewed at full rez on this latest and greatest MacBook Pro 16". So I moseyed on over to RED's R3D page: https://www.red.com/sample-r3d-files to have a look.

The result? None of them. Not even the redonemx-4k-30fps could be run in RCX at full debayer without stalling for a moment. Makes me miss my RED Rocket card.

If anyone is able to view anything at full-rez, would love to know the specs of the files. Compression and FPS are huge components, so simply saying you can run 8K all day long with no problems, really doesn't help. The devil is in the details.

With all of the work going on in the background at Apple and RED, it doesn't surprise me that FCPX is making big strides and playing better than Premiere. But I'm wondering now if RCX is getting long in the tooth and possibly EOL. Is there something else in the works as a better solution?

Nothing ever stands still at RED or Apple. I cannot imagine this laptop in a 2008 world when RED was first coming into the market. Reminds me of a helicopter shoot when I used a RED drive with the ET mount on my R1. Now, even my laptop doesn't have anything spinning, all SSD.