Thread: Can the latest MacBooks Pros playback 8k RED files in say 1/4 res?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gundu View Post
    I have the latest maxed out MacBook and playing back 8K Red files at quarter quality decode doesn't skip a beat using the Screen App.

https://videovillage.co/screen/
    That is interesting Bob. Will check it out. How does it playback in Redcine?

So the limitations will be like this
    AMD
    CPU is the main limitation
    After that the GPU

Nvidia
    CPU does not really matter in Redcine
    GPU does all the work. 1080 GTX can easily playback half debayer. Almost fullres, I got 20-22fps on 1080 GTX.

I readup about the Sony Lenovo. Quite nice GPUs. T2000. However apperently almost no cooling so the cpu will clock down a LOT after just a few seconds. Poor cooling is always a problem, but then the Macbook Pros will have problems with cooling too.

Cheers
    Andreas
    www.ObergWildlife.com- Natural History Filmmaking
    www.WildlifeRescueMovie.com- Saving the animals of the Rainforest!
    RED DSCM2 8K Helium Movi Pro Gimbal, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon CN20x50 50-1000mm

1/4 in Redcine plays as well without hiccups.

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasOberg View Post
    That is interesting Bob. Will check it out. How does it playback in Redcine?

So the limitations will be like this
    AMD
    CPU is the main limitation
    After that the GPU

Nvidia
    CPU does not really matter in Redcine
    GPU does all the work. 1080 GTX can easily playback half debayer. Almost fullres, I got 20-22fps on 1080 GTX.

I readup about the Sony Lenovo. Quite nice GPUs. T2000. However apperently almost no cooling so the cpu will clock down a LOT after just a few seconds. Poor cooling is always a problem, but then the Macbook Pros will have problems with cooling too.

Cheers
    Andreas

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

1/4 in Redcine plays as well without hiccups.
    I'll have to disagree with Bob on this one. On my setup, only 1/8 plays without hiccups. 1/4 eventually catches up and freezes a bit. Tested this last night on my 15", 2.4GHz, 8-Core Intel Core i9 with 32GB 2400MHz DDR4, with Radeon Pro Vega 20 4GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536MB and 4TB SSD.

One caveat might be the compression used. I was using the RED sample file: w8kvv-sth-24fps-4to1redcode_FF and perhaps that was slowing it down more than what he tried. What sort of compression were you using Bob?

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
    All I can say is, I tried playing back 8K Raw last year at 1/8th resolution on a music video project, and my poor Trashcan Mac almost caught on fire. Not a wise idea. We were able to finish it, but only with great difficulty... and the render took several hours (for a 3-minute song).

Moving forward, I'd recommend a 4K or 5K workflow using high-quality transcodes. Either that, or many times more CPU power, RAM, and GPU power. I would bet one of the new full-tilt 2019 Mac Pros could do it pretty well, but that's not a laptop.
    My trash can almost becomes a dumpster fire too. 34 hour export for an 8K h265. 7mins video. Anamorphic (easier on the system).

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelan View Post
    I'll have to disagree with Bob on this one. On my setup, only 1/8 plays without hiccups. 1/4 eventually catches up and freezes a bit. Tested this last night on my 15", 2.4GHz, 8-Core Intel Core i9 with 32GB 2400MHz DDR4, with Radeon Pro Vega 20 4GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536MB and 4TB SSD.

One caveat might be the compression used. I was using the RED sample file: w8kvv-sth-24fps-4to1redcode_FF and perhaps that was slowing it down more than what he tried. What sort of compression were you using Bob?
    That is interesting to hear Mark. I think 1/4 is the lowest acceptible for inspecting sharpness. Then you can usually do 1/2 for shorter bursts. Thanks for testing!
    Leaning towards a Lenovo with Quadro RTX5000 16GB. 2.5kg heavy
    www.ObergWildlife.com- Natural History Filmmaking
    www.WildlifeRescueMovie.com- Saving the animals of the Rainforest!
    RED DSCM2 8K Helium Movi Pro Gimbal, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon CN20x50 50-1000mm

I have the latest maxed out MacBook and playing back 8K Red files at quarter quality decode doesn't skip a beat using the Screen App.

https://videovillage.co/screen/
    Damn, Bob, can you start a "Gundu Recommendations" thread? You find some of the coolest stuff, and I've downloaded/purchased a number of things you've recommended on these forums hah!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelan View Post

You are correct Mark. 4:1 compression at 8k is not happening. But it’s not that common to shoot with that low compression at 8k.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

You are correct Mark. 4:1 compression at 8k is not happening. But it’s not that common to shoot with that low compression at 8k.
    Good point, Bob. I downloaded a couple other clips from RED to see what worked at 1/4 on the newest Mac. The epicw8k-standard-24fps-7to1redcode_16x9 clip did not work at 1/4, but it was on the cusp. Ran for a few seconds, almost to the end before freezing. However the w8kvv-sth-48fps-10to1redcode_FF.RDC clip DID work at 1/4. So somewhere between 7:1 and 10:1 is the sweet spot for Redcine at 1/4.

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasOberg View Post
    That is interesting to hear Mark. I think 1/4 is the lowest acceptible for inspecting sharpness. Then you can usually do 1/2 for shorter bursts. Thanks for testing!
    Leaning towards a Lenovo with Quadro RTX5000 16GB. 2.5kg heavy
    If you can handle the weight, the Dell 7740 with RTX5000 will play back 8k full debayer all day and the fans hardly even spin up. 4x m.2 sockets, up to 128 ram, and 2 TB3 ports. I am not familiar with the Lenovo but would image it is similar.

Get a Razer or an Aero with RTX. Mac ecosystem and its incompatibility with nVidia is simply not suited to 8k.