Thread: What lens set to buy under $30k?

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    I'm no longer shooting much. But I just bought my first set of cinema lenses this year (a much cheaper set than the Xeens, but significantly more expensive than standard Rokinon) and have been researching obsessively...

Imo, there's a strong argument to be made that you're mostly paying for mechanics. Most of the sets mentioned in the second post are rehoused still lens and if you're curious what they look like rent the still lenses and compare them. Compare them against your Rokinons. I personally question the value of paying so much for mechanics unless you have the budget to always hire an AC, but that's just me, and I suppose it can't hurt if you don't mind the weight.

Beyond mechanics I suppose is the need for a versatile range of focal lengths, somewhere around 25-100mm but you might want to go wider or tighter depending. I'd probably like to go a bit wider than 25mm personally. Slightly below that in importance imo is speed, but most of those sets are f2 or faster over the 25-100mm range.

And last I suppose would be look? Which is a bit depressing to consider.

The Tokinas look great to me and SLR Magic sample footage has always looked good to me. Top Gun looks beautiful and that's Sigmas. Otus looks especially good to me, but 28mm is not that wide and the mechanics are not cinema mechanics, which sort of rules that out.

Of course far more important than any of that is knowing what your needs are. You could just need one focal length (unlikely if you're being hired to shoot for others) or you could need long lenses for sports or wildlife or wide for real estate. Or just want something nice.

Corporate clients seem to like Zeiss CP2s. They seem fine to me. Mechanics look really nice without being ridiculously big.
    Last edited by Matt W.; 12-08-2019 at 11:51 AM.

Well I came across a really good deal on a Sigma Cine 7 lens set barely used and bought them yesterday. These lenses are noticeably better than what I am used to working with all the time Rokinons, Old Ziess Super Speeds, Ziess Cp.2, Ziess Photo lenses, Canon EF Zooms, old Nikon AIS. I am very very happy with them. Open up all the way holds up so well.

The ironic part was I told my wife back in college 8 years ago when I bought my first Sigma Photo zoom lens for my little Canon 60D there was something about the sigma I really liked and if they ever made cine prime lenses I would defiantly buy them. And back then they were still the third party photo lens brand every one looked down on. I thought they would be cheap like the Rokinons not the price of a cheap new or used car. Alot has changed with that company since then. I cant wait to see what they come up with next.

Only complaint so far is there case for 7 lens set is comically huge. I get keeping these lenses protected but come on. I cant be lugging around such a huge case that is barely being filled up with equipment and 80% foam. They all fit in a Pelican 1510 case that I have and need to buy new foam for. But I don't know what to do with this huge case.

Also there support foot is in a bad place for the follow focus and shoulder hand held work for at least the RED. The follow focus has to be closer to the camera body to get around it and when its on your shoulder in a good balanced place the follow focus is right in your mouth. So I have to remove the support foot to put the follow focus further away to make it work.
    Last edited by Alexander Sutton-Hough; 12-08-2019 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Sutton-Hough View Post
    Only complaint so far is there case for 7 lens set is comically huge. I get keeping these lenses protected but come on. I cant be lugging around such a huge case that is barely being filled up with equipment and 80% foam.

This may be obvious, but the set doesn't have to be stored all in one case. Most times I see prime sets on a feature film sets the prime set is stored in more than one case.

7 is kind of an odd number for a case. A Pelican 1600 case can comfortably fit 6 Sigma Cine primes, and it's nice & compact.
    Aaron Green - Chicago, IL
    DRAGON X
    www.instagram.com/aaronkgreen

They all fit in a Pelican 1510 case that I have and need to buy new foam for.
    Do tell! I would love to scale that case down, if I found an alternate solution that didn't make me paranoid. The 1510 doesn't seem deep enough for the 85mm.

Also there support foot is in a bad place for the follow focus and shoulder hand held work for at least the RED.
    I don't think you'll ever need the support foot on them, they're just not that long or heavy. I've never installed mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Greene View Post
    Do tell! I would love to scale that case down, if I found an alternate solution that didn't make me paranoid. The 1510 doesn't seem deep enough for the 85mm.
    They just barely fit in the Pelican 1510 with the foam.