Thread: Helium ISO - Theory vs. Reality

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Helium ISO - Theory vs. Reality 
    Junior Member Thomas Dunzendorfer's Avatar
    Hey guys!

I tried to avoid starting a new post and worked my way through this forum to search for an answer. I am pretty confused regarding the ISO people use on Helium. I always worked on 1280/1600 when outdoors in bright surroundings, 800 in studio as well as 320 when it comes to dark settings (proper lit). Some colleagues of mine tend to always work with 800, some do use 1600 but set the exposure adjust to -1.0 already in camera.

Just had a shooting couple of days ago where my take on this topic suddenly seemed like a bad one - was shooting in a darker setting (director/client wanted it that way, with skintones & highlights at around 40-50%), calibration and temperature were on sweet spot, exposure was also good I guess - still I had massive noise in the end, which I can't really explain myself. Friend of mine used 1600 outdoors, still with no information clipped - footage had noise on it while mine didn't.

Any explanation here? Just stick to 800 and avoid everything else? It's just weird as I re-did calibration and never had that problem before. Just curious what you guys use, also in very bright conditions (midday, snow on mountain) or dark settings (no low-light, on purpose).

Big THX!
    Thomas Dunzendorfer | DoP & Editor

RED Dsmc2 Helium 8K #11231
    Zeiss Contax Set of Primes
    Canon FD Set of Primes
    DJI Inspire 2 Dual-Op Set

www.faded.works
    Instagram DP
    Instagram FADED.

Upload a r3d snapshot and I think its quite easy to see what went south.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame / VFX / Motion capture / Monstro

Noise is a product of underexposure.

Just because you shot at 320 ISO, doesn't mean it's not underexposed. Yes post an R3D.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

This is really important:
    - What matters is not what ISO you film with. What matters is that are close to the upper limit of the sensor when it comes to exposure
    This basically mean that should be close to the stop signs, but you do NOT trigger them.

If you do this you will never get any surprises with noise.
    I do still recommend using Neat Video it will do wonders to noise, but also take time to process.

Hope that helps!
    /Andreas
    www.ObergWildlife.com- Natural History Filmmaking
    www.WildlifeRescueMovie.com- Saving the animals of the Rainforest!
    RED DSCM2 8K Helium Movi Pro Gimbal, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon CN20x50 50-1000mm