Thread: Blackmagic 6k vs Red

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. #1 Blackmagic 6k vs Red 
    I own a Red Epic-W. 8k.

Watching this I preferred the BM footage, before it was revealed it was BM. I thought it was the Red.

I really don't know.

Typing on a hydrogen.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hbFQSp7ZzK8

Bought a BM 6K - initial test seemed OK... was ready to be pleasantly surprised. Came to intercut material with our REDs on an actual job and the 'get what you pay for' became apparent.

In isolation, and in ideal conditions the BM6K is fine, but image quality falls apart under difficult lighting, has too much hard coded sharpening, and has no real detail in shadows to recover in the raw.

Usability is nice though - interface, touch screen, 1:1 zoom etc all very slick.
    KipperTie - Authorised RED Rental, Pinewood Studios, UK
    Ready to hire: Monstro 8K VV | Gemini 5K | Helium Monochrome 8K
    Check out our Revolva ND solution, OLPFs and other products

Quote Originally Posted by John Marchant View Post
    Bought a BM 6K - initial test seemed OK... was ready to be pleasantly surprised. Came to intercut material with our REDs on an actual job and the 'get what you pay for' became apparent.

In isolation, and in ideal conditions the BM6K is fine, but image quality falls apart under difficult lighting, has too much hard coded sharpening, and has no real detail in shadows to recover in the raw.

Usability is nice though - interface, touch screen, 1:1 zoom etc all very slick.
    I think there is a third party OLPF avialable for the BM 6k.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dease View Post
    I own a Red Epic-W. 8k.

Watching this I preferred the BM footage, before it was revealed it was BM. I thought it was the Red.

I really don't know.

Typing on a hydrogen.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hbFQSp7ZzK8
    To me tests like this is super difficult to judge. I would need to have the clips brought in properly into the same colorspace and then drag colors and light levels around to compare. Then when doing that camera differences start to show and then I think dragon stands a bit taller than the BM6k.

But yes sure, for most owner operators the question is if the difference is worth it as the BM6k cost even less then a red touch screen.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Plus,

Blackmagic's Rec709 transform Luts, except "Blackmagic 4K to Rec709" version 1, to put it nicely, I've found to be shit. It's sometimes better to develop the Log image manually.

Quote Originally Posted by rand thompson View Post
    Plus,

Blackmagic's Rec709 transform Luts, except "Blackmagic 4K to Rec709" version 1, to put it nicely, I've found to be shit. It's sometimes better to develop the Log image manually.
    Always better.

Quote Originally Posted by John Marchant View Post

As usual, outside of the sweetspot, issues in the shadows.
    But then again, for the price and the general image quality, no one should be complaining.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Burkhart View Post
    Always better.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. Everything I graded of the Blackmagic Braw 6k footage I did manually except for some 4k blackmagic footage which used the BM4k to Rec709 Lut. However, I was surprised by how good "Blackmagic 4k to Rec709 V1" can look in some situations, when it's not over saturating the image.

I've only played with a few downloaded Braw samples. Compressed CDNG from BM cameras is more flexible. Not too impressed with any of these new "raw lite" codecs compared to playing with RED samples and IPP2 in the new Redcine X or working with uncompressed CDNG from my Bolex.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Burkhart View Post
    Always better.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rasberry View Post
    I've only played with a few downloaded Braw samples. Compressed CDNG from BM cameras is more flexible. Not too impressed with any of these new "raw lite" codecs compared to playing with RED samples and IPP2 in the new Redcine X or working with uncompressed CDNG from my Bolex.

What about bringing them into ACES?
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

I’ve used the 6k several times and frankly I’ve been pleasantly surprised. There is no “hard coded” sharpening, the sensor just doesn’t have an OLPF. Dual ISO performance is on par with my Gemini, and the detail from the sensor is excellent. I think the benefits of a Gemini over the Pocket 6k is dynamic range and perhaps color depth.

You have to rig the pocket to get decent battery performance, or just have a ton of LPE6n batteries. I do with RED’s menu system was as snappy as Blackmagics. BRAW is also impressive for a new codec.