Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: 6K Dragon-X DSMC2 Petition!

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BrendanLeahy View Post
    I was doing it primarily for Weapon Mg owners, but with the growing interest of all of these other camera owners who have held onto their bodies waiting for something "better" to come up, I thought it'd be nice to compile a list and show Jarred the growing interest in a 6K Dragon-X :)
    So, a 6K Dragon-X side by side along the Gemini for $19500?

Sensor size about the same and you can choose between resolution or dual ISO?

People on the list send in their Scarlet-W and pay $12000 to get a new body?

Quote Originally Posted by AndreeMarkefors View Post
    So, a 6K Dragon-X side by side along the Gemini for $19500?

Sensor size about the same and you can choose between resolution or dual ISO?

People on the list send in their Scarlet-W and pay $12000 to get a new body?
    Not sure where those numbers are coming from?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    Yeah, I was under the impression he meant use your pre-existing DSMC2 6k sensor/pcb (from Weapons), and then replace the rest of the boards with DSMC2 Unified hardware (to get finalized IPP2, highest res proxies, LUT support). Not to make a new batch of freshly cut DSMC2 Unified 6k Dragons.

Maybe JarJar could chim in to confirm/clarify... (Im pretty sure he peruses the forum. :)
    Yes - Mr. Land? Could you speak to this?

Epic Dragon

I might be a +1 (Epic Dragon).

But I thought rumours were that we’re looking at a potential release of DSMC3 by end of 2020?

Quote Originally Posted by BrendanLeahy View Post
    Not sure where those numbers are coming from?
    Just ballpark. The 5K Dragon-X is $14500 and the Gemini is $19500. The Dragon-X 6K would be above the 5K. Do you have it at $17500? Or $22500 due to higher resolution than Gemini with same-ish size sensor?

Used DSMC cameras belong on Ebay or Craigslist. If RED needs to buy all their old gear back... that's costly. If this deal is open to everyone I mean.

+1 Scarlet W
    Gabriel Llantino
    Director of Photography / Director
    Email - booking@samureyefilms.com
    Instagram - @samureye
    Reel - https://vimeo.com/308832105
    RED Scarlet W - Owner

+1 WEAPON Mg

Just ballpark. The 5K Dragon-X is $14500 and the Gemini is $19500. The Dragon-X 6K would be above the 5K. Do you have it at $17500? Or $22500 due to higher resolution than Gemini with same-ish size sensor?

Used DSMC cameras belong on Ebay or Craigslist. If RED needs to buy all their old gear back... that's costly. If this deal is open to everyone I mean.
    I would assume the 5k dragon would disappear and just be replaced by the 6k option. That’s assuming the only difference between the hypothetical 6k and existing 5k is the sensor size/resolution.

There’s also that RED seems to (thankfully) want to keep the lineup simple these days, too

10.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.

no no, I don't think we need to adjust the price... the 5k Dragon-X already have 6K sensors in them. We just need about a month of software work to get IPP2 working on 6k Dragons.

This wont work on Raven.. those sensors are hard 4.5k sensors. And some dragon sensors were software masked down to a smaller resolution that had defects down to a smaller resolution but that was mostly the VV dragons.

And this wont work on DSMC1 users on the list because remember the unified internal boards didn't happen until DSMC2.... But I think most of you have an upgrade path to Dragon-X so you can just do that to get you to this.

So.... the cleanest way to do this since our friend looks like he is gonna get his 50 signatures is to just turn the 5K Dragon-X into 6K Dragon-x and then let the Scarlet-W and MG folks do that normal $4995 upgrade to them.

A bit messy on our side.. some cameras will need more changes some less, but I think it will all balance out in the end and the upgrade fee Scarlet-W and MG users pay should cover the expense of doing this.. and Dragon-X owners just wake up with a better camera after hopefully just a new firmware... so I don't think we will need to charge any more for new Dragon-X 6K cameras.. the 5K Dragon-X just goes away, and Dragon-X owners are forever indebted to the MG and Scarlet-W guys and girls that initiated this change in the program.

The biggest problem with this is a cosmetic one. Scarlet-W and MG users that do this will get new bodies that will say Dragon-X 6k on them so they are ok.. but existing Dragon-X owners with 5K branded on their cameras that now shoot 6k will need to either live with that.. or we can figure out some sort of body upgrade fee to swap out that front panel if it bothers them. Kind of the worst panel to change because it requires a full camera rebuild just to change that, but still I don't see that being more than $500 or $600.

How does that sound?