Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Apple + RED

Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post
    How relevant is a RAW compression ratio of more than 6 times these days, considering current flash prices and the need for high quality and flexibility in post?

More than 80% of the blockbusters is still shot in uncompressed ARRIRAW (so it seems they don't give a sh*t about compressed RAW).
    Sony has a patent aggrement with RED so they can do whatever they want.
    Canon has rawlite which has a lower compression ratio than the 6 times mentioned in the RED patent.
    Blackmagic has BRAW which doesn't infringe the RED patent but gives the same flexibility as RAW.
    Many who shoot RED and need the best possible quality use the lowest possible compression ratio (we do with 7k 4:1 24..25fps).

The emerging markets (China, India, etc..) don't give a sh*t about US-only patents and they kind of don't like Apple(to put it mildly).
    Fast flashstorage sell's for less than $200/TB with a read/write speed exceeding 3 GB/s.

Apple is kind of late to the compressed RAW party, so I think it will be hard for them to be as relavent with ProResRAW as they where with ProRes.
    I don't think you have receipts for any of the "information" you are providing here..

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    We are pleased to see our REDCODE patents withstand another challenge.

To be clear, as I mentioned before, this never really was Apple vs. RED. It has always been APPLE + RED, and this was all part of the process defining how we work together in the future.

RED integration with Apple’s METAL framework for realtime R3D playback is coming along well and the work that the two teams are doing together is exceeding expectations. We are very excited for the new Mac Pro and the new XDR pro display and the power they bring to the entire RED workflow.
    good news especially metal framework support
    Nathan Collett
    cinematographer & filmmaker
    EPIC-W Helium #3790

nathancollettfilm.cargo.site

Not yet :)
    yeh
    Nathan Collett
    EPIC-W Helium #3790

Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post
    We still have one UMP running at cDNG and with $200/TB SSD pricing this have never been an issue for our workflow. The nice thing for us concerning BRAW is the low compute power needed.

I didn't know Saudi Aramco was also chasing RED over tech.
    lol. if you want your pension in oil under a dubious regime feel free ;) but core fact is its not publicly traded company, yet. some problems over there... can't imagine :)
    Nathan Collett
    EPIC-W Helium #3790

I shoot with a Iphone 11 max pro, monstro & gemini - would be so nice if I could record the iphone with prores raw and that could be matched seemlessly to a red raw workflow (perhaps even with a "downconverted" red/raw prores).

RED integration with Apple’s METAL framework for realtime R3D playback is coming along well and the work that the two teams are doing together is exceeding expectations. We are very excited for the new Mac Pro and the new XDR pro display and the power they bring to the entire RED workflow.
    Will all Metal based Macs benefit from R3D acceleration or is it just with the Afterburner card?

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickFaith View Post
    I shoot with a Iphone 11 max pro, monstro & gemini - would be so nice if I could record the iphone with prores raw and that could be matched seemlessly to a red raw workflow (perhaps even with a "downconverted" red/raw prores).
    Cool idea in theory but the iPhone 11 Pro (and Max) only use Lightning with USB2 speeds so if you shot 4K ProRes Raw on a 512gb model you'd get around 50-ish mins of footage and then have painfully slow offloading. With USB 2.0 being 60 MBps that would take around 2 and half hours.

Apple need to make that 'pro' device pro and give it a nice connector (I also own an iPhone 11 Pro).
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5401988/

Ex- RED Dragon / Epic Owner

Quote Originally Posted by andrewhake View Post
    I don't think you have receipts for any of the "information" you are providing here..
    You don't think? or are you just to lazy to google for 5 minutes yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Arvidsson View Post
    Put your hands in the air, this is a hijack.

Jarred, do you have any news on the cuda full acceleration support outside of redcinex pro? It was a year since it was first showcased/teased.
    And sdk have been out since april.
    Mistika and Scratch have it. I think Lightworks does as well. It's been a bit slow getting adopted.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Rakesh Malik
    Director of Photography, Colorist
    http://WinterLight.studio
    http://www.imdb.me/rakeshmalik

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Petts View Post
    Cool idea in theory but the iPhone 11 Pro (and Max) only use Lightning with USB2 speeds so if you shot 4K ProRes Raw on a 512gb model you'd get around 50-ish mins of footage and then have painfully slow offloading. With USB 2.0 being 60 MBps that would take around 2 and half hours.
    USB 2.0 is around 35 MB/s sustained so make that 4 hrs.
    Phones have built-in image correction algorythms to compensate lens and sensor limitations, which makes the "raw" part debatable. Though I wouldn't be surprised if Cupertinosaurus does to "raw" meaning what it did to "pro".
    http://i68.tinypic.com/drcb4y.jpg

Analog > Camera feel optimization http://omeneo.com
    Digital > Camera performance optimization http://omeneo.com/primers

imdb

"Como delfines en el fondo del oceano
    volamos por el universo incentivados por la esperanza"

"L'esperanza", Sven Väth
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards"
    Jung/ Carol