Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Apple + RED

Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Antony Newman View Post
    +) 2013 Trashcan (8 Core) + 64 GB + RRX + eGPU(MPX dual Radeon Pro Vega II) compares with...
    Apple only supports eGPU with TB3 which trashcan doesn't have. Not to mention that even TB3 doesn't have enough bandwidth to run a GPU on its full performance and trashcan only has TB2 that only has half of TB3's bandwidth. Additionally, MPX modules are meant to be used only in Mac Pro, not externally. They don't even have a cooling solution but rely 100% on the Mac Pro case's fans and being integrated part of that thermal design. It's time to place your trashcan into an actual trashcan and move on

Quote Originally Posted by Tuomas Hakala View Post
    It's time to place your trashcan into an actual trashcan and move on
    DUDE. e-recycle

Apple just gave me a gift card for $1,280 for trading-in my trash can!
    Los Angeles | http://www.dcchavez.com | Helium 8K S35 #6284 | Helium 8K S35 #4573 | @dcchavez

Any news regarding the implementation of Metal support in Redcine, DaVinci or FCPX?

5.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #155  
    [QUOTE=Jon MIchael Puntervold;1896016]Any news regarding the implementation of Metal support in Redcine, DaVinci or FCPX?[/QUOTE
    ]

Yes indeed one of those teams have been working hard over the quarantine and ask me the same question tomorrow :)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon MIchael Puntervold View Post
    Any news regarding the implementation of Metal support in Redcine, DaVinci or FCPX?
    Yes indeed one of those teams have been working hard over the quarantine and ask me the same question tomorrow :)
    :)

Jarred “heh heh”ed at this during last week’s Solidarity Series, too.

The 2019 7,1 MacPro has the potential to be a great workstation for RedUsers. That statement is predicated on GPU resources doing the heavy lifting decoding R3Ds. In Apple world, that means AMD graphics cards and Metal optimization. (Plus, potentially, exploiting the AfterBurner FPGA card.)

If Apple really wants to sell workstations in the creative space without Threadrippers and RTX cards, then Metal has to kick ass. Otherwise...

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    The 2019 7,1 MacPro has the potential to be a great workstation for RedUsers. That statement is predicated on GPU resources doing the heavy lifting decoding R3Ds. In Apple world, that means AMD graphics cards and Metal optimization. (Plus, potentially, exploiting the AfterBurner FPGA card.)

If Apple really wants to sell workstations in the creative space without Threadrippers and RTX cards, then Metal has to kick ass. Otherwise...

Cheers - #19
    As much as it'd be great for higher-end comps to rip through 8k/60p .r3ds, I'd actually prefer more subtle gains, if it means more compatibility/lower GPU requirements.

At this point, desktop CPUs can crush r3ds pretty well, so I'm hoping to get better editing playback with Metal on MBPs (with less vRAM requirements than CUDA/Windows equivalent). I doubt it, but we'll see...

Cat’s out of the bag. Metal Based decode

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/sup...0f8aec7563349c

Yup, you said it! Not even 24 hours later :)
    http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...ration-(-Mac-)

Amazing news!!! Especially considering that everyone is probably working from home!
    Formerly known as "nutman"
    ||| RED ONE #1333 ||| Epic-X #1003 |||
    ||| RED Hydrogen Houdini #0034 Titanium #1014 |||
    H4Vuser