Thread: MacBook Pro 16" Configuration

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    15" vs 16" 2019 MacBook Pro - Full Comparison!

By
    Max Tech

16" MacBook Pro Benchmarks & Thermal Performance

By Max Tech

16-Inch 2019 MacBook Pro - 4K Video Editing TESTED!

By
    Max Yuryev

MacBook Pro 16 Unboxing Thermal Test & Fan Noise Vs MacBook Pro15 inch - Not what I expected

By Tally Ho Tech

Last edited by rand thompson; 11-16-2019 at 07:28 PM.

is it worth the extra money to go from the 4gb to 8gb GPU? how much difference would I see in performace - in adobe premiere?

Hoping for some guidance..

I'm considering picking up one of these new MBP 16's, in top processor, 32gig ram, 8gb GPU spec. I've got a 2016 MBP (maxed out), and a middle spec 2019 imac (3.7 i5, 40GB ram, 8GB GPU) The 16' MBP is slow going with anything R3D - always 1/8th playback on 4/5K Gemini stuff. The iMac can fairly comfortably hold 1/4 in the same circumstances, and is generally pretty nice for viewing rushes and transcodes.

Is it realistic to think that a top spec new MBP, could be at a similar level of performance to the mid spec desktop iMac? or is it always going to be a step down with the nature of laptop v desktop? Considering whether or not I can get rid of the iMac + old MBP and just consolidate to one machine and an external display.. that would be nice.

Depends exactly which iMac configuration, but this could be entirely do-able. Also get the 64GB RAM. With an 8-core system doing 4K+ video work, you need 64GB. The only option I can't seem to justify or make sense of is the 8TB onboard SSD. Sure, I'd love to have 8TB, but the cost just rules it out with 4TB already pushing a bit much on that. Also depends on your workload... For guys who are mobile most of the time and if they can fit their daily project workload into 8TB or less, then it's a no-brainer. For me, 8TB isn't enough for all the video files and graphics related project files, but is way too much for everything else. Since I'm going to be tethered to an external storage container of some sort most of the time, I opted for 4TB. 2TB is plenty for me now, hoping to future-proof a bit.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

is it worth the extra money to go from the 4gb to 8gb GPU? how much difference would I see in performace - in adobe premiere?

Only a $100 option. Really for a "pro" machine they should have just made them all 8gb. It would have saved a ton on custom orders as I suspect most will opt for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah McLamb View Post

2019 16" vs 15" MacBook Pro - Video Editing Comparison

By
    Max Yuryev