Thread: Introducing MacBook Pro 16-inch

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I guess I thought mine left Shanghai the other day. Nope that was just the export scan. It’s now stuck in customs with a failed clearance. UPS no longer has an estimated delivery date, only an exception. I ordered it less than 48 hours after orders went live. So like November 16th. And I’ve been waiting on hold with Apple for like 10 minutes to see what they can do.

...And none of that matters now because Apple is just as confused as I am and says something must be wrong. Apologized profusely for it taking so long to actually ship and now this. So they’re expediting me a new one (should ship today, or tomorrow as it will be in China, for arrival on thursday) and will be recalling the other one. She said she would follow up once they have confirmed shipment. OK. Hmmm.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe View Post

...And none of that matters now because Apple is just as confused... So they’re expediting me a new one (should ship today, or tomorrow as it will be in China, for arrival on thursday) and will be recalling the other one. She said she would follow up once they have confirmed shipment. OK. Hmmm.
    I was going to suggest cancelling the order, but Apple did the right thing and re-ordered an expedited shipment.

Went with a fully kitted 4tb to replace both my current 2016 laptop and my imac from 2014. Stoked to be able to rip though red footage on a laptop at full res!

Ended up going with the larger hard drive because I have found drive speed makes a huge difference with video playback. Most of my editing projects are less then 3tb so I can just work of the crazy fast internal SSD.

Really wish apple made it possible to connect the 5k imac as a second display. Instead I picked up one of these badboys- https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34...rawide-monitor
    Daniel Kelly Brown
    www.danielkellybrown.com

Apple made good and delivered it yesterday as promised. Well, UPS made it happen I suppose. Still getting it set up, but now that I've spent more time on it I just have to say it's nice to have a large screen on a MacBook Pro again. Will be pushing it over the weekend to see what it can do.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

Has there been any feedback on how it handles H.265 or other codecs other than Red's?

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Kelly Brown View Post
    Went with a fully kitted 4tb to replace both my current 2016 laptop and my imac from 2014. Stoked to be able to rip though red footage on a laptop at full res!

Ended up going with the larger hard drive because I have found drive speed makes a huge difference with video playback. Most of my editing projects are less then 3tb so I can just work of the crazy fast internal SSD.

Really wish apple made it possible to connect the 5k imac as a second display. Instead I picked up one of these badboys- https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34...rawide-monitor
    Have you experimented with SSD portable drives with USB-C connection. They claim upwards of 500MB per sec. R/W speed, are these fast enough to stream 8K r3d files?
    Silver Lake Studios Inc.
    Film Production and Stock Footage
    Rentals and other goodies at
    www.utahcinevideo.com
    www.slsfilm.com

Quote Originally Posted by David Collard View Post
    Has there been any feedback on how it handles H.265 or other codecs other than Red's?
    The bit of editing I have done over the past few days with the 16in I am getting smooth playback of 4K 100mbs .H264 in half res in premiere. I think it would still struggle with .h265 in premiere. FCP should have smooth playback of both.
    Daniel Kelly Brown
    www.danielkellybrown.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe View Post
    Apple made good and delivered it yesterday as promised. Well, UPS made it happen I suppose. Still getting it set up, but now that I've spent more time on it I just have to say it's nice to have a large screen on a MacBook Pro again. Will be pushing it over the weekend to see what it can do.
    I'm very curious to see how it will do with transcoding 5K/6K/8K R3D files and what kind of speed we'd be looking at.
    marc wielage, csi • colorist/post consultant • daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
    I'm very curious to see how it will do with transcoding 5K/6K/8K R3D files and what kind of speed we'd be looking at.
    Will really depend on a few variables with software being the main one. FCPX will most likely give the best performance at the moment and will get better as soon as the new R3D Metal SDK is made available. I could do some quick tests with the sample R3Ds if there is anything specific you want to see and compare to an 18 core iMac Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewhake View Post
    Will really depend on a few variables with software being the main one. FCPX will most likely give the best performance at the moment and will get better as soon as the new R3D Metal SDK is made available. I could do some quick tests with the sample R3Ds if there is anything specific you want to see and compare to an 18 core iMac Pro.
    Hi Andrew and Jeff,

If you guys could post your impressions on the following compared to , say the previous top of the line Mac Pro (trashcan) and the iMac Pro (any configuration) that would be great:

1- 8K 2:1 R3D and 8K WS at 50 and 75fps editing ( number of simultaneous streams , smoothness of playback, etc)

2- Color of the Monitor compared to first generation Touch Bar 15"

3- Performance vs Maxed out 2016 Touch Bar MacBook Pro

This would really be great!

Cheers,

Sergio
    Sérgio Perez

Weapon Monstro #03294 "Amochai" in Macau

Video Director/Creative/Producer

http://vimeo.com/user1503556

https://www.youtube.com/user/spzprod..._as=subscriber