Thread: Introducing MacBook Pro 16-inch

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe View Post
    You won't get more ports until we get more PCIe lanes on these mobile CPUs. Quad TB3 is already providing more I/O potential and bandwidth than any other laptop maker out there, so not sure what you're hoping for. What you won't see from Apple is other USB, HDMI, etc.. ports that can be facilitated within the TB3.

And yeah, 8 ports would be pretty amazing. And overkill.
    My line about 8 ports was just playing off the "year of 8" comment... but more than 4 is definitely needed on a PRO laptop. Sure, having the most *potential* bandwidth in the market is nice in theory, but when one of those ports is tied up by my power supply, it's just theoretical bandwidth. I can't plugin a second set of transfer drives there.

I totally understand the "rock and a hard place" situation here... Magsafe was an awesome connector, but Apple would view that as a step backward -- be it for size constraints, the ability to plug power into whatever port you want, etc. They probably wouldn't add a charging-only USB-C port because that's too confusing for users. Can you imagine the support calls "why isn't my hard drive mounting? I plugged it into the port that looks identical to all the others" :)

But, it has been my experience in the past 3 years of owning my most-hated laptop ever:

1) The keyboard is unreliable

2) Touch Bar failed on me after 6 months and sucked when it WAS working

3) I've had multiple times were I ran out of ports when connecting multiple HDDs / SSDs / card readers

4) As much as I truly love the TB3 / USB3 speeds, I'm tired of living in dongle-town

Everything's a trade-off, but Apple's stubborn insistence on "well TB3 can handle HDMI / USB-A / etc" means that in real-world situations I need more of those ports.

Is there anything on Intel's roadmap for adding more PCIe lanes?

I'm out of my depth here on a technical level, so forgive my hand-wavy solution... just my personal opinion... but I'd rather that take one of those PCI lanes (or however many are needed) and actually assign them to real, physical ports on the computer so that the maximum number of simultaneous devices in real-world scenarios increases. Heck, I'd take just two USB-A and one HDMI in place of one TB3... that single extra port would have solved several headaches. OR just figure out a different power delivery, so I'm not tying up valuable I/O ability. They won't do that, because it would be considered a step backward... even though it's a step forwards for usability and eliminates extra crap in my bag :)
    Last edited by Ivan Verlaan; 11-23-2019 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwan Khan View Post
    As many Ports you need there are many options (lol - just jokin')
    Hahaha... COUNT ME IN! Back to my old PowerBook Duo days

I felt the MagSafe connector was a really inovation that’s disappearance added to my growing irritation with apple.. I would have accepted a 3rd redesign and been happy... but perhaps I am not seeing some big picture..?

Got ours in this morning. Maxed out version except went with a 512GB SSD. I cut a piece in Premiere and it feels about the same power as my base model iMac Pro. Pretty pleased with it! The battery seemed to expend quick during heavy lifting and it ran hot but didn’t seem to skip a beat. I’d expect that with anything this powerful, that small. I just wish the screen was a tad brighter. Overall, very happy with it!

I’m still waiting on mine. :(

My delivery window says I should have it no later than today, but my CC has not been charged and no shipping or other notices yet. Kinda bummed out. Holiday week, family isn’t doing much. Got over a foot of snow last night and nothing to do today. No new computer stuff to play with as I’m waiting on my new MBP and my new Threadripper CPU and MB for a new workstation build... I’m sure all that stuff will show up like next week when I’m super busy starting the end of year crunch.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

Ty, In this review there is a concern about inconsistent screen brightness. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XXzX0m_Ezs&t=307s

Jeebus... My MBP finally left Shanghai like 10 minutes ago. It sat in customs for 2 days waiting to be cleared. This has to be one of the longest, weirdest waits for an order that I’ve had. UPS tracking says it’s scheduled to be delivered next Friday. W-T-F????
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

Jeff: I am sorry your delivery was so slow! I am looking forward to your review!

Messing around with my 16” MacBook Pro. It’s definitely worth the costs. Not having much issue with 8k so far. Was able to mess around in premiere and have a 8k Clip in a 8k timeline playback in full res just fine.
    Dp Reel
    http://www.joncarrdp.com
    Camera & Lighting Rentals in NYC
    http://www.visualcinema.com/rentals/cameras/
    Instagram
    http://instagram.com/joncarrdp
    Carbon Fiber WEAPON Helium #651 "MISTRESS"
    DJI Ronin 2 R2D2
    Schneider Xenon FF primes PL

It's REDcode or no code...

That's very impressive Jon. Time to upgrade my 2012 I guess. I was thinking I needed an iMac Pro to play with Helium 8K files. I don't need to edit in full res, but a smooth experience would be welcome. Anyone tried FCX on the 16" and how did it go?