Thread: Gawd Awful Playback in Premiere 2019 + 2020

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Gawd Awful Playback in Premiere 2019 + 2020 
    Hey friends! I've been poking at Premiere using Gemini 5k footage and not impressed with the results. Playback is stuttery and not at all what I'm used to. Red One and Scarlet 4k always smooth and great.

I have confirmed the disk source footage is on is a peppy SSD
    Tried on two different systems (both AMD TR2 Windows 10 based). One has a GTX1060, the other RTX2080.
    RCX has zero issues playing %100 full debayer. (on both systems)

Confirmed projects in Premiere are CUDA enabled.

Latest NVidia drivers.

WTF friends? Why is Premiere sucking so hard? I can't believe this is normal, but trying at work and at home and getting the same results has me really scratching my head. At work we have only Pr2019, but at home I have Pr2019 and Pr2020. Both give similar awful results! I can't even play back at 1/4 smoothly, whereas RCX blazes at 1:1 no issue.

Haaaaalp!?!?!

Thanks for help! Appreciate the time to reply!
    Nathan

Hey Nathan, I'm sure somebody with a bit more Threadripper experience will chime in, but that definitely doesn't sound normal. At least not on the 2080 machine.
    What does your resource monitor look like when you're running clips? (Ctrl + Shift + Esc and over in the Performance tab)

If you're shooting up to 100% CPU utilization at your max frequency, and you see it spike and drop in frequency, then you're thermal throttling. Upgrading your system's cooling would be a potential fix to the issue, or if you overclocked your processor, toning it down to something that's more stable for the workload.

Another potential issue could be that your cache drive isn't set to be on an SSD, since that can also matter when it comes to performance. Just a standard SSD (not M.2) should be fine for this, and generally having a drive dedicated for cache is the best way to go about it.

Hopefully either of those gets you started with diagnosing the problem.
    Brandon Veen | Digital Curator at Hedderich's
    Epic-X Dragon #08127 + Fujifilm GFX50R + Leica BLK360

Thanks for the ideas! System has two M.2 drive internally and the footage was on an external SSD. Footage seems to be working smoothly now. Maybe Premiere was building the waveforms or something? Very strange in any case. I'll check for performance spikes if we encounter issues again.

Same playback issues here. Using latest AERO i9 Laptop with 64Gb Fast SSD and RTX2080. Not smooth at 1/4 on Gemini 5K footage. adobe uses only 2% GPU when cuda enabled.
    RedCine smooth with gpu usage close to 100%.
    Adobe, come on !
    Considering Davinci now.
    Pixel Dealer
    Video Production company
    www.pixel-dealer.com

Not sure if still relevant in the latest version, but make sure Premiere has correctly identified your GPU for its Mercury Playback Engine.