Thread: New Monstro owner! Do I nned this DSMC VV AL CANON MOUNT?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Too many variables to fully list here, but it truly does come down the lens and the lens design if it's going to cause issues. It's not just about vignette either, it's about gate flare and other things that can occur.

I personally would recommend only using the VV PL and EF mounts for VV filming as it is the one answer that doesn't cause trouble.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Plus isn't the cost difference only $50? ($700~750)

Thanks Phil. So far I haven't had any issues with the S35 EF mount I have on my monstro and my canon lenses. I may look into getting the bigger EF mount but I think eventually I will be getting away from Canon glass and staying PL.
    Red Monstro 8K VV | Red Gemini 5K | Kippertie Revolva

not much of a difference unless you are shooting 8K with a super wide lense.. also I think there's a flange issue where it will box off part of a flare unnaturally. but, get the VV anyways, it'll give you a chance to upgrade the EF mount to have the captive screws, the original EF mount the screws came off was always a pain to keep track of... the resell value of your old EF s35 is pretty high and easily covers most of the cost of the new one.
    DSMC2 MONSTRO "GHOST"
    FAA LICENSED DRONE PILOT

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kendall View Post
    not much of a difference unless you are shooting 8K with a super wide lense.. also I think there's a flange issue where it will box off part of a flare unnaturally. but, get the VV anyways, it'll give you a chance to upgrade the EF mount to have the captive screws, the original EF mount the screws came off was always a pain to keep track of... the resell value of your old EF s35 is pretty high and easily covers most of the cost of the new one.
    The one I have the screws stay in. I been all the way to 16mm on my mount and haven't seen any issues yet. Maybe if I go wider i will see issues.
    Red Monstro 8K VV | Red Gemini 5K | Kippertie Revolva