Thread: Be afraid. Be very afraid

Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Preston Light Ranger 2 with AF controls is out in the wild being used. Nuff Said. Not afraid, just another tool. As sensor's get larger, having the confidence of an AF system will be awesome. Was used on The Greatest Showman for the trapeze shot, AC has said it would be impossible to do without being able to switch on the AF. Focus goes from 90' to CF on a 180mm in a mater of seconds.

https://www.fdtimes.com/2018/01/29/g...-focus-speak2/

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki Murashige View Post
    Iíve worked alongside many commercial still photographers who only use modern autofocus lenses, and their images look great.
    That's certainly a good point. Although others will use old, manual focus lenses as well. And not just because you can buy them for as little as $5-$25. Sports shooters definitely want AF and would not give it up, a sentiment with which I agree. But for the others, AF isn't compulsory, and so they have more room to play.

I've done some commercial work here and there, and although I used an AF lens most of the time, I focused it manually.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | Martini Ultra (blog)

Keep in mind that only a very small percentage of video productions use a focus pulling crew member. In most video shooting the cam op is performing the focusing.

What percentage of video productions would you guess use a dedicated focus puller? 5% Possibly less than 1%? .1?

With these advanced AF systems Canon and Sony are targeting the vast majority of video productions. They are putting the feature on their sub-$20K cameras which are workhorses in that 90% of the market. Even if "high-end" productions don't take to it, the AF systems still appeal to 95+% of the industry. "predictive focus" is something most productions, by far, do not need. And most productions only need the focus maintained on a single subject the entire shot.

Quote Originally Posted by John David Pope View Post
    Keep in mind that only a very small percentage of video productions use a focus pulling crew member. In most video shooting the cam op is performing the focusing.

What percentage of video productions would you guess use a dedicated focus puller? 5% Possibly less than 1%? .1?
    Red's bread and butter is Netflix... how many narrative shows on Netflix employee a 1st and 2nd AC + DIT + Datawrangler? my guess would be 100%, then you have 2nd Unit

Documentaries? IDK, I would think you would have a Camera Assistant 100% of the time. But, they might not pull focus

if it's shot with a cinema camera, you're going to have a camera assistant and they are going to pull focus

With these advanced AF systems Canon and Sony are targeting the vast majority of video productions. They are putting the feature on their sub-$20K cameras which are workhorses in that 90% of the market. Even if "high-end" productions don't take to it, the AF systems still appeal to 95+% of the industry. "predictive focus" is something most productions, by far, do not need. And most productions only need the focus maintained on a single subject the entire shot.
    I don't know where these # come from or what a video production is... the FX9 will probably be used to shoot Documentaries in 4K and the Autofocus will be used for tracking shots
    I have to try and change the landscape, whatever it is.
    -Robert Plant

Senior Member Satsuki Murashige's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Stolpakov View Post
    Satsuki Murashige one more of my legends of set life.
    ???

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki Murashige View Post
    ???
    Just an appreciation for the saint look how it should be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Karim D. Ghantous View Post
    I disagree with this perspective. Take Sony's A9, for example. It is amazingly accurate and precise. A tennis player can be moving back and forth, behind the net, whatever, and the A9 locks onto them like a rabid dog on a baby. AF algorithms can certainly work while a frame isn't being recorded (e.g. the 180 degrees that the 'shutter' is 'closed').
    You are disagreeing with perspective while looking at a completely different image.

In yours there is no script, acting, director, specific creative intent and any shaping of the context of the shot, let alone with subtleties and variations of pace.
    Analog > Apollo wooden handgrip http://omeneo.com
    Digital > Primers - professional image transformation tools http://omeneo.com/primers

imdb

"Como delfines en el fondo del oceano
    volamos por el universo incentivados por la esperanza"

"L'esperanza", Sven Všth
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards"
    Jung/ Carol

It's not just high end related. I've shot docu, corporate, BTS, music vids, sports, car rallys, sitcom, events, cooking shows, etc. and regardless of AF quality I'd be screwed if AF was the dominant tool.

It can help here and there, for some shots, but cannot substitute freedom and feel of manual focus needed in many shoots. It's an extra complementary feature, not a replacement for the need to work and develop skills, as some people like to imagine, slapping titles next to their name right after tool acquisition.

Also, If I shot weddings, I'd think twice before choosing to rely on an algorythm to focus from a candle to a newlyweds' first kiss.

One can apply the same principle to docu or anything where you have one shot opportunity and that's it, with healthy eyes and hands at disposal and no time to setup the computer to do the work for you.
    Analog > Apollo wooden handgrip http://omeneo.com
    Digital > Primers - professional image transformation tools http://omeneo.com/primers

imdb

"Como delfines en el fondo del oceano
    volamos por el universo incentivados por la esperanza"

"L'esperanza", Sven Všth
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards"
    Jung/ Carol

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Riggieri View Post
    Preston Light Ranger 2 with AF controls is out in the wild being used. Nuff Said. Not afraid, just another tool. As sensor's get larger, having the confidence of an AF system will be awesome. Was used on The Greatest Showman for the trapeze shot, AC has said it would be impossible to do without being able to switch on the AF. Focus goes from 90' to CF on a 180mm in a mater of seconds.

https://www.fdtimes.com/2018/01/29/g...-focus-speak2/
    I came in to post about the Light Ranger 2. Itís really an amazing system

Senior Member Satsuki Murashige's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Stolpakov View Post
    Just an appreciation for the saint look how it should be done.
    Ah, well thank you for the compliment, but I don’t deserve it. Just another journeyman DP like most here, expressing my opinion. I wouldn’t put any special stock in it!