Thread: 2x Anamorphic Zoom with autofocus

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 2x Anamorphic Zoom with autofocus 
    I've had the "i wanna make a lens" idea before and I have it again. Not saying I'm the right man to design and manufacturer a lens but I'll try continue to pursue it this time. Since I can dream at this initial phase, i'll say what I would like to make anyway, or inspire someone else to do it :P

2x Squarefront anamorphic lens
    40mm-80mm (traditional photo lens adjusting)
    Auto and manual focus
    Lightweight, plastic construction
    RF mount

Lens would cover traditional 2x dimensions, 21.3 × 18.2 mm squeezed.
    Komodo coverage and potential DSMC3

For my personal use lens is not going to replace cinema anamorphics but as a good anamorphic still lens. Small like a Panavision C-series (but with autofocus) If anyone has any recommendations or tips I am all ears :)

Tell me more about your autofocus desires!?

What do you hope to pay for such a lens as an end user ?

Why have stills lens style feeling control for the zoom ? Or Do you want geared zoom for a motor that can also be hand zoomed?

Do you expect it to be parfocal since you say stills style?

What is the slowest T stop you could accept ?

I might know a guy who is already “living the dream”

Autofocus would just need to "work" like any regular stills lens, Obtain Focus with auto, and then flick to manual for any minor adjustments of focus.

Price would be slightly more than a regular premium RF mount zoom.

Still lens style for the Zoom, not trying to replace cinema anamorphics. A slight twist of the wrist for the full focal length, no winding and winding as you would if using a cinema lens (for both focus and focal length)

Parfocal would be ideal given that it would not cause the size of the lens to be excessive.

T2.8, higher T stop i assume would be a smaller barrel and smaller overall size of lens.

Thanks for the response Dan, really appreciate it. I contacted a major manufacturer of lenses and they responded (they use Oslo :P) but didn't get a response for any further questions haha I have optics in photography by kingslake and another lens design book aswell but most of the technical equations fly over my head. Was lens design ever more of an art? I imagine lens design in the 50's was less equations...

One of the many questions I have is in regards to the size of a lens, at what point does an increase in size overall produce NO visible increase in sharpness... say like a small Panavision c series vs the AL's which are massive but so beautiful. Like, if this is the right terminology, how small does a photon of light get where your in a sweet spot, small lens yet still sharp. At what point do you have a smaller lens but it just doesn't appear as sharp...

So anyway the idea is create a anamorphic still lens that is small enough and looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Porto View Post

Was lens design ever more of an art? I imagine lens design in the 50's was less equations...
    Fantastic question...

Not a terrible place to be on the Dunning-Kruger scale if you want to start learning... “this can’t be that hard right ?” - better to feel encouraged than discouraged :)

Truly designing lenses has always been about math and materials science - which to me are definitely some of the higher art forms !

Before the 1950s a lot more of this math was done by hand or slide-rule ... here’s an inspirational and true poster :

More discussion to come...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kanes View Post
    Tell me more about your autofocus desires!?
    you would heva to center frame, using the middle third to focus to, but I personally have never used auto focus in my career. The old Panasonic Lenses on the AF100 told me the field of focus in monitor, based on the zoom of the lens, F-Stop and Focus postition...

What do you hope to pay for such a lens as an end user ?
    somewhere between a carton of cigarettes and a used car

Why have stills lens style feeling control for the zoom ? Or Do you want geared zoom for a motor that can also be hand zoomed?
    don't most Anamorphic lenses breeathe like crazy? I personally, would like prime anamorphics that are very light

Do you expect it to be parfocal since you say stills style?
    if you can make some Paralinx type primes I'm down for that shit... large enough to cover 42x26

What is the slowest T stop you could accept?
    t/2.0 would bring all the boys to the yard to check out that ass... what do you got Russian elves enriching lens elements at Londonderry?

I might know a guy who is already “living the dream”
    to achive 2:4:1, on a 16:9:1 sensor... all you would need is a squeeze of 1.3, which would buy some real estate on camera and achieve an anamorphic look
    I have to try and change the landscape, whatever it is.
    -Robert Plant

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffery Anderson View Post

don't most Anamorphic lenses breeathe like crazy? I personally, would like prime anamorphics that are very light

to achive 2:4:1, on a 16:9:1 sensor... all you would need is a squeeze of 1.3, which would buy some real estate on camera and achieve an anamorphic look

Breathing isn't really an issue as I'm looking for a stills lens predominantly. That given I would still like to shoot vids with such a lens and willing to live with certain optical characteristics to have a smaller and lighter weight.

I used to own 2x squarefront LOMOs OCT-18, 35mm, 50mm and 80mm (UNTIL THEY WERE FN STOLEN) and have a 1.33x moondog labs iphone mount. That 2x squeeze is just something though. Although that Sirui 50mm 1.33x looks pretty damn nice, comes out on indegogo on the 10th december apparently... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpgIipA8WvY

So I've been contacting various lens manufacturers and going to try a lens program called OSLO. Posted on Reddit and got some more support answer regarding manufacturing optics companies that may be able to assist in producing this lens. Early days though So not much to report other than that. Im going to use this thread as my little production journal. :)

So I contacted optimax and moondog optics. Both either saying that they are too busy or not interested in working on the lens I would like to make. Understandable. I’m just a random email on the internets. Just gotta find the right manufacturer who is most likely relatively new and without lots of long term work I’m assuming. I think it’s also best that I skip the autofocus idea for the 1st prototype. It’s just going to add another level of complexity to an already complex design. Can always re-engineer later. Anyway it’s almost Christmas and most companies and employees are gearing up for some celebrating with their families, will prob wait until the new year before I start to send out anymore emails. No rush. Good things take time

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    Would it be better than putting an anamorphic adapter onto an AF lens? I can see how it's not that simple, but it's worth experimenting. I wonder object detection AF would work properly without desqueezing the image. I am guessing that it isn't too much extra work for software engineers to do that.

Designing a manual focus lens is trying enough, but it's possible, even by just one person. AF is a whole different ballgame. I'm not saying you can't do it, but I am saying that I wouldn't want to try. ;-)

I, too, have a dream of starting an optics company. But I won't tell you what the product is. Heh, heh... I don't want to give the game away. Suffice to say that the lenses will be M mount, with a few available in L39, and they will not be AF.

The part of my plan that I can give away is that some of the lenses will be made from formulations of old Cooke lenses. But anyone can do that, and if they did, my plans would not in any way be ruined. The same with M mount anamorphics: I've told a few people about it, and that maybe they would like to do that, seeing as they have the funds and I don't.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | Martini Ultra (blog)

I hope someone steals my idea so much easier that way :p once I get a manufacturer on board it might be a simple anamorphic element in front of a spherical zoom. I’ve read that a lot of lens designers take already patented designs and then rejig them to suit their needs. No one is saying that Their going to come up with a never before done lens design. Not trying to reinvent the wheel :)