Thread: New Mac Pro Configuration Recommendations

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe View Post
    AMD ThreadRipper 3960X - 24 core
    Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Extreme Motherboard
    8 x 32GB Corsair DDR4 3600MHz (256GB total)
    2 x RTX 2080 TI GPUs
    2 x 2TB M.2 Nvme SSDs
    A few other bits and bobs and liquid cooling setup for the CPU.

I’m right at $10K all in. ...A bit under half what the equivalent Mac Pro would cost.

It would be interesting to compare RT playback and render times with this setup.

Note: that's the model with feet, not with $400 wheel set, so a bit underspec.
    Analog > Apollo wooden handgrip http://omeneo.com
    Digital > Primers - professional image transformation tools http://omeneo.com/primers

imdb

"Como delfines en el fondo del oceano
    volamos por el universo incentivados por la esperanza"

"L'esperanza", Sven Väth
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards"
    Jung/ Carol

Hello, newish here... been lurking for 6 months. Right now I edit 50+ hours a week and have been severely hampered by my current iMac with my puny Sony 8 Bit footage Heavily taxing the system. I will be purchasing a RED Komodo as soon as its announced and that will be my A cam. Actually I will probably buy 2. In preparation for that I will be buying a new Mac Pro this week. I'd like to have the fastest machine possible to edit footage from that camera but also I don't want to needlessly overspend. What do you guys think about this setup for editing RED Komodo footage is this enough or not enough? Glad to make my first post boys. ***Any extra money I have saved for the Mac Pro piggy bank will be in savings for the DSMC3***

Mac Pro 7.1

16 core
    4TB SSD
    Two Radeon Pro Vega II with 32GB of HBM2 memory each (is this overkill for Komodo?)
    6K display (unsure if i need the nano coating?)

I too am not GPU savvy. I would appreciate any comments on a ‘sweet spot’ with regards to the GPU selection - if possible including the soon to be released options. This GPU ‘sweet spot’ would likely tie in with the 16 Core machine with 96G RAM. I accept that a max out of 2 duo’s may give the best result - but with a hefty price tag. Is there a good compromise in there somewhere? My application which I guess would be fairly standard would be 4k/8k clips on a 4K timeline in Resolve. Thanks in advance for any input.

5 streams of 8k r3d on a final cut pro timeline with real time playback!!! i’m still in Awe of this machine!!!!
    Jacob Schwarz
    Director / DP
    www.jacobschwarz.net
    Monstro 8K (Storm) 33 / Forged Helium 8K #29 / Epic-W
    Follow Me: Twitter / YouTube

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe View Post
    8 x 32GB Corsair DDR4 3600MHz (256GB total)
    All that RAM?? Dear lord! You really need all that? LOL

As for the 6K display, you need to know how to clean it:

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/12/10...leaning-cloth/
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | Martini Ultra (blog)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Andersen View Post
    Your "Preferred" Config is exactly what I am ordering
    Yeah, it's a bit of money up front, but I think that's a well rounded workhorse for years to come.

My current Mac Pro is from 2009 and it still works really great for most of today's tasks. It's got a Vega Frontier 16GB card and never complains in Resolve or doing weekend 3D renders with all cores maxed. A pure joy for what it is.

And sometimes it's the small things: having all cores maxed on a render and still being able to use the computer and OS for light browsing or productivity work without the mouse ever stuttering or locking up once.

PS. Updated what I think is the cheapest sensible option, which I now think is to wait for the Radeon Pro W5700X in the hope of it coming in around $800 for a price of $8499.

Quote Originally Posted by Hrvoje Simic View Post
    Note: that's the model with feet, not with $400 wheel set, so a bit underspec.
    $400 for four wheels? $100 per wheel? Are they Michelin or Pirreli?

Quote Originally Posted by jacob.schwarz View Post
    5 streams of 8k r3d on a final cut pro timeline with real time playback!!! i’m still in Awe of this machine!!!!
    Have you tried?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tiemann View Post
    One of the early review guys responded to my question on Twitter. Right now afterburner is ONLY for ProRes RAW, and only implemented within FCPX and other Apple programs. They do say it will be supported by other 3rd party apps (Resolve? Premiere?). But I strongly suspect ONLY for ProRes RAW, which means we'd need RED to support a new codec in their cameras to get afterburner benefits. Or perhaps there's a lightweight way to wrap R3D media in a ProRes RAW wrapper--I don't know. But the reviewers who have said anything about R3D so far have only demonstrated that the 28-core Xeon processor is capable of transcoding from RED's 8K RAW to some H.264-ish format in slightly better than realtime (a 5:00 minute clip in 4:20). Afterburner is doing nothing in that case (AFAIK).
    Thats weird when the presented the new Mac there was a RED section if I'm correct.
    Instagram: @rv12
    Vimeo: @rv12

Quote Originally Posted by Karim D. Ghantous View Post
    All that RAM?? Dear lord! You really need all that? LOL
    Yes. I’ve had 256GB in my primary Resolve box for the last 5 years and it’s a dual 10-core and for complex renders and data sets I can use it all. I say it’s my Resolve box and that is the system I primarily run Resolve on, but it is used for other heavy lifting as well. Very heavy lifting in some scenarios that have nothing to do with editing, post production, etc..

As for the 6K display, you need to know how to clean it:

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/12/10...leaning-cloth/
    At least they include it with the screen. And it’s only for the nano textured premium version of the screen. Now if you want to not prop the screen up against your Mac Pro or the wall in order to use it, they want to charge $1K for a stand. That said, the AmazonBasics heavy duty monitor arm is a 100X better solution and is < $80. It’s tough enough to mount iMac Pro workstations, which are bigger and a lot heavier than the new 6K display.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.