Thread: For Sale - Illumina S35 High Speed Prime Lens Set

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 For Sale - Illumina S35 High Speed Prime Lens Set 
    SOLD

UPDATED!

Selling a set of Illumina S35 T1.3 lenses - 18mm, 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm.

Glass in very good condition. One of the first sets made by Luma Tech when they introduced the Illumina lenses to the market. Contrary to what some people believe, there are no optical differences between Mark I-III Illuminas. Just mechanical design updates. This Mark I set has stiffer focus gears than the newer ones, but no issue if driven by focus motors or most manual FFs. You get the same creamy warm look wide open and beautiful flares for $10K less than the new versions.

Selling for $1̶9̶5̶0̶0̶ $18k including flight case and free shipping ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶U̶S̶ worldwide.

PM me for images or if you have any questions.

Thanks!
    kay madsen
    cinematographer
    www.madsenfilm.com

Here are photos of the lenses. Open to any reasonable offer. Please PM.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nvrsypp3q...VQZYk8g-a?dl=0
    kay madsen
    cinematographer
    www.madsenfilm.com

Price drop to $18k including free worldwide shipping.

Please pm me directly with any questions.

Thank you for your interest!
    kay madsen
    cinematographer
    www.madsenfilm.com

Quote Originally Posted by kay madsen View Post
    Price drop to $18k including free worldwide shipping.

Please pm me directly with any questions.

Thank you for your interest!
    Hi Kay,

I also have a set of Illuminas (s/n 003). Just out of curiosity, what did you end up selling your set for?

Cheers,
    Paul

www.EMBStudios.com

Epic-M 567

As the person who sold Kay and Paul their sets of Illuminas and worked with Gregory Mirand for more than 35 years I want to tell you that there is a difference in one Illumina...the 18mm MK3 is a totally new design.
    Sadly, Gregory passed away about 10 days ago in Westin, Florida, his home for many years. Gregory and I traveled to many parts of the world together when he was my camera assistant. He is sorely missed. He was
    a fine lens designer and introduced the world in the mid 1990's to the Optar Illuminas....and then the much under rated Super 35mm Illuminas.

Dear companions of the REDUSER community, be careful before buying used products through intermediary companies.
    I bought an Alexa mini unit two years ago from one of the site sponsors (this is not proof of credibility), but the company chose to try to ship a camera different from the one chosen on the site, and then claimed to have lost my money and to be victim of a coup, although no police report has been recorded. I have been asking for my refund through the Florida court for two years, and I have spent more than $ 15,000. The Company gave in and asked for an agreement, although it did not cover my USD 15,000.00 expense to recover USD 50,000.00.
    After proposing to pay me in twelve installments, he paid one and ignored the agreement offered, without communicating or even giving satisfaction.
    So, before paying 10% commission to companies just for contact, get your lenses and cameras without intermediaries. Although there are good brokers, unfortunately some charge 10-20 thousand dollars for just forwarding emails and photos and not guaranteeing any security, and everything is going well as long as things work out (I worked with the company for ten years), but we know the seriousness when we have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Bemerghi View Post
    Dear companions of the REDUSER community, be careful before buying used products through intermediary companies.
    I bought an Alexa mini unit two years ago from one of the site sponsors (this is not proof of credibility), but the company chose to try to ship a camera different from the one chosen on the site, and then claimed to have lost my money and to be victim of a coup, although no police report has been recorded. I have been asking for my refund through the Florida court for two years, and I have spent more than $ 15,000. The Company gave in and asked for an agreement, although it did not cover my USD 15,000.00 expense to recover USD 50,000.00.
    After proposing to pay me in twelve installments, he paid one and ignored the agreement offered, without communicating or even giving satisfaction.
    So, before paying 10% commission to companies just for contact, get your lenses and cameras without intermediaries. Although there are good brokers, unfortunately some charge 10-20 thousand dollars for just forwarding emails and photos and not guaranteeing any security, and everything is going well as long as things work out (I worked with the company for ten years), but we know the seriousness when we have a problem.
    this has nothing to do with OP nor with the fact that Fred just informed us of Gregory Mirand passing. Am really sad Gregory is gone.
    Epic-W Helium 8k #6819

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Nordin View Post
    Hi Kay,

I also have a set of Illuminas (s/n 003). Just out of curiosity, what did you end up selling your set for?

Cheers,
    Paul
    I ended up selling them for asking price. It's still a great deal for the buyer, as these are fantastic and very underrated lenses. I felt the need to move on after 10 years of working with the same glass, but I already miss them. Luckily the person who ended up buying them is just a phone call away if I need them!
    kay madsen
    cinematographer
    www.madsenfilm.com

Very sorry to hear Gregory has passed away. It's a pity that the Illuminas were so underrated. An elaborate "scientific" lens test / shootout that was published on this forum years ago, shortly after the Illuminas came out, probably had quite a negative impact on the acceptance of the lenses. Back then people were complaining about imperfections in the design, but only a couple of years later so many lens afficionados are drooling over old anamorphic glass, in part because they cherish their imperfections... Gregory was on to something back then, and I'd like to believe that he know instinctively that his lens design needed to counterbalance the clean image reproduction qualities of modern digital cameras. That said, the 18mm was probably the only candidate in the set that had room for improvement. I stand corrected and happy to hear that the MKII & III are a step up in that regard. I can only say that I look back with great joy on all the images I've captured with the glass Gregory designed. I've never encountered anyone who did not fall in love with the look these lenses were able to produce. May he rest in peace.
    kay madsen
    cinematographer
    www.madsenfilm.com