Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Dragon-X 5K upgrade to Dragon-X 6K

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16
  1.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
  #11  
    Fire Chief Jarred Land's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    10,540
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodrigo Violante View Post
    How can I get the upgrade for the monochrome scarlet w, they told me I need to buy a new sensor
    That sounds like a bunch of poopycock....... who said that? You do need a special firmware that's following this one but you don't need to buy a new sensor.

    It takes a special person to buy a Monochrome... it is probably the worst financially responsible purchase you could ever make but there is no better way to spot someone that has a true passion for the art and that will always have a special place in my heart.

    Not only do you qualify, but any monochrome owners here will be put to the front of the line as soon as that firmware is done.
     

  2. #12  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,015
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    That sounds like a bunch of poopycock....... who said that? You do need a special firmware that's following this one but you don't need to buy a new sensor.

    It takes a special person to buy a Monochrome... it is probably the worst financially responsible purchase you could ever make but there is no better way to spot someone that has a true passion for the art and that will always have a special place in my heart.

    Not only do you qualify, but any monochrome owners here will be put to the front of the line as soon as that firmware is done.
    Oh boy - I'm moving up from Epic M-X Mono to Helium Mono (finances in the works - unless there's a Dragon-X mono I could move to instead?!) - will the firmware benefit that camera too? :D
     

  3.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
  #13  
    Fire Chief Jarred Land's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    10,540
    Quote Originally Posted by BrendanLeahy View Post
    Oh boy - I'm moving up from Epic M-X Mono to Helium Mono - will thaefirmware benefit that camera too? :D
    nope.. but you have a favor in your back pocket.
     

  4. #14  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,015
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    nope.. but you have a favor in your back pocket.
    Any chance of a Dragon-X monochrome I could jump to instead? :D Also - how can I contact you directly? The last couple of times I tried on here said your inbox was full :(
     

  5.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #15  
    Fire Chief Jarred Land's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    10,540
    Quote Originally Posted by BrendanLeahy View Post
    Any chance of a Dragon-X monochrome I could jump to instead? :D Also - how can I contact you directly? The last couple of times I tried on here said your inbox was full :(
    Sure. and Jarred@red.com
     

  6. #16  
    Moderator Phil Holland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    11,330
    Heh. I've been answering questions since November about this upgrade. This is an incredible upgrade path for peeps to get into Dragon 6K. Here's some of the frequent talking points.

    Personal take in the landscape of the industry: RED was obviously early on into the world of 6K sensors, but given the current newest cameras on the market pay close attention to what your cameras can now do in comparison. Always going to be features separating systems, but Dragon is a really great sensor and most of you know my deep love for it.

    Hot take, if any of you saw the Absolut or BMW stuff I shot on Dragon 6K, I actually was shooting 5.5K FF a whole bunch. Why?

    Here's the fun stuff.

    Dragon at 5K is indeed about the same format size as Super 35mm 3-perf:
    http://phfx.com/tools/formatCompare/...&focalLengths=

    However, taking into account that most Super 35mm lenses were designed for 4-perf S35, 5.5K FF gets you a very coverage friendly and optimal image circle compared to 4-perf:
    http://phfx.com/tools/formatCompare/...&focalLengths=


    That's really for the purists out there or those working with S35 glass, but commercially that was my voice w/ Dragon despite most of the exhibition work using the full 6K FF format.


    And if you recall the lens coverage notes for the full 6K FF resolution/format of Dragon. Generally speaking Super 35mm lenses of 35mm and longer lenses all cover 6K FF just fine.


    One last familiarity note. Remember in the RED ecosystem Dragon and Monstro share the same pixel pitch/size. So 5K FF on Monstro is the exact FOV of Dragon. However, there is some nuance with 6K FF on Monstro being 6144x3240 and on Dragon 6K FF is 6144x3160.

    Here's what that actually looks like:
    http://phfx.com/tools/formatCompare/...&focalLengths=

    Things like 6K 2:1 and WS are the same, but the HD 16x9 format will reflect a slightly different height and width as well.

    Other than that, enjoy the hell out of it.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles
    ________________________________
    phfx.com IMDB
    PHFX | tools

    2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

    Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts